Medical Healthcare Interpreter, Registry (Arabic)
Join one of the nation's most comprehensive academic medical centers, UChicago Medicine. The International Program department has an exciting opportunity for a Medical Healthcare Interpreter, Registry – Arabic, to conduct accurate interpretation for Limited English Proficient (LEP) patients, their families, visitors; patient care staff, physicians, nurses, lab technicians and other healthcare providers, through the appropriate medical interpreter technique training at the medical center.
In this role, the Medical Healthcare Interpreter, Registry will facilitate communication between patients and families with limited English proficiency (LEP) and their physicians, nurses, lab technicians and other healthcare providers.
In addition, will:
- demonstrate proficiency and ability to communicate medical information accurately in both English and at least one other qualified language
- have the ability to orally interpret
- have the ability to orally translate essential UChicago Medicine medical document
- practice principles of confidentiality, impartiality, respect, professionalism, integrity, accuracy, and cultural competence when serving our Limited English Proficient patients
- demonstrate an ability to communicate effectively in cross-cultural situations
- adhere to the National Code of Ethics for Interpreters in Health Care and the International Medical Interpreter Association's Medical Interpreting Standards of Practice
Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Interpretation between patients and providers in such a way that the original meaning is maintained
- Act in the interest of the shared goal of achieving the wellbeing of the patient. Interpretation can be conducted face-to-face, via telephone or video call
- Sight translation of clinical, non-clinical, and procedural documents into the target language
- Educate medical staff and physicians to access all medical healthcare interpreter services and maintain strict patient confidentiality
- Perform other duties that may be assigned in the best interest of UChicago Medicine
You'll thrive in this position if you:
- Make Thoughtful Decisions – you identify issues, problems and opportunities; pro-actively recognize the need for improvement. You work with others to develop a sense of common purpose; understand different perspectives on issues; gathers and examines information available. You generate alternatives - Create relevant options, including financial and resource implications, for addressing problems and opportunities. You select appropriate action - Formulate clear decision criteria; evaluates options by considering implications and consequences; chooses an effective option. You commit to implementation and work with a sense of urgency and a bias for action to implement the decision.
- Act with Courage & Conviction – you look at interactions, activities and processes to maximize the patient, customer and employee experience; speaks up for point of view with confidence even when the topic is controversial; shares point of view in a manner that builds support. You alert the right person when expectations or standards are not met or when UCMC's values are at risk. You ensure proper resolution is achieved and an explanation is received; escalates appropriately if needed.
- Communicate with Impact – you focus on the message of others, provide undivided attention, and defer judgment. You convey messages logically, simply, and with confidence. You check for understanding by asking questions, seeking clarity and responding accordingly.
- Successful completion of a formal program in medical interpreting for the qualified language
- Excellent grammatical skills in both language
- Extensive knowledge of medical terminology especially in areas of Peds/Adult Hematology Oncology, Organ Transplant, Genetics, Neurology/Neurosurgery, ENT, Peds/Adult Orthopedics, Human Anatomy, Physiology and medical procedures
- Interpersonal skills are required along with a strong orientation to customer services
- Understanding of cultural diversity and its effect on clinical encounters
- Ability to sustain a busy and flexible work schedule. Ability to manage caseload and time; able to travel between patient care areas and off-site facilities
- 3 years of experience as a Medical Healthcare Interpreter in an acute care specialty medical center is preferred
- Certification in Medical Interpretation
- Job Type/FTE: Part-time (0.10) ; minimum 5 hours/week
- Shift: Days
- Hyde Park campus, but may work at other sites as well if needed
- Unit/Department: International Program
Must comply with UCMC's COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a condition of employment. If you have already received the vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are also required for all employees prior to hire.
Apply on company website