Join University of Chicago Medicine as Outpatient Representative in Admitting Department in the Burr Ridge, Illinois location.
Local 743 Clerical
Posting Dates: 5/11/2021- 05/17/2021
Join one of the nation's most comprehensive academic medical centers, UChicago Medicine. The Finance Revenue Cycle Department currently seeks an Outpatient Representative to assist patients/families with billing and collection inquiries for the medical center, BSD and the University of Chicago Physicians Group.
As an outpatient customer service representative, you will:
- Collect and verify demographic, guarantor and Hospital insurance information for all outpatients receiving treatment at the University of Chicago Hospitals.
- Educate patients, physicians, staff, etc. on the outpatient financial process.
- Provide information/directions for all patients seen in the DCAM.
- Assist patients/families with billing and collection inquiries for the Hospitals, BSD and the University of Chicago Physicians Group.
- Maintain physician referral database.
- Maintain patient confidentiality as described by Hospitals' policy.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide information including parking, directions, food service, accommodations, taxi service, wheelchairs, transportation, etc. Perform all outpatient registration functions, including interview patients by telephone or in person to collect demographic, guarantor, insurance and financial data required for billing.
- Obtain authorization from managed care companies to cover outpatient services. Work with UCH managed care office to identify and interpret contracts governing patient care. Provide all pre and post billing inquiry functions for the Hospitals, UCPG and UCHP. Written correspondence and face to face issues include: Investigate and resolve charge disputes. Process patient refunds. Identify adjustments/discounts on claims.
- Initiate resolution of accounts placed with a collection agency. Collect or make financial arrangements for patient due balances. Maintain the referring physician database for all inpatient and outpatient visits. Demonstrate positive guest relations and act as the patients advocate to ensure any patient complaint of inquiry is handled appropriately.
- Respond to inquiries from physicians, nursing staff, clinical staff and staff from other areas in the Hospital on behalf of individual patients with the strictest limits of confidentiality of patient information.
- Performs other duties assigned.
- College degree preferred with a minimum of 2 years of experience in hospital patient accounting process,
- Highschool degree with minimum of 5 years of work-related experience.
- Knowledge of insurance verification and/or third-party collection procedures.
- Experience in dealing with insurance and related companies on behalf of the patient.
- Knowledge of Hospital billing and collection processes. Strong analytic and assessment abilities.
- Ability to problem solve independently and be strongly invested in team management.
- Make responsible decisions within the context of the position.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills requiring tact, discretion, and the ability to act as a resource for the patient and the Hospitals.
- This position requires excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing and requires the ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Shift: Days (8a-5:00p)
- Department: Admitting
- CBA Code: 743 Clerical
Apply on company website