Be a part of a world-class academic healthcare system, UChicago Medicine, as a Pharmacy Technician in the Inpatient Pharmacy. In this role as a Pharmacy Technician you will be preparing medications and supplies for dispensing under the supervision of a pharmacist and rotate through all work areas of the pharmacy department. This department supports and provides direct patient care to patients of all ages and of all patient populations. The Inpatient Pharmacy is known for providing exceptional assistance when your medical needs may be complex and requires special knowledge when collaborating with your medical provider and insurance company. We are dedicated to providing you with the personal service necessary to ensure that you achieve the most benefit from your medical therapy.
The Pharmacy Technician prepares inventories, orders drugs and supplies from pharmacy storeroom, receives drugs and stocks shelves in various pharmacy locations. In the absence of the pharmacist, facilitates the timely distribution of medications by prioritizing orders, seeking out the pharmacist for checking when necessary and working to prioritize STAT order handling. Completes and passes required annual technician competencies in a timely fashion. Complies with all departmental, hospital, and regulating agency policies or recommendations. Complies with all state and federal laws regulating their practice. Prepares outpatient prescriptions. Performs cashiering duties and assists in the training of new pharmacists and technician employees in their work areas.
Essential Job Functions
- Transports medications (excluding those medications handled through the pharmacy's controlled substance distribution system), IV's, TPN's, Chemotherapy, medication cassettes, other pharmacy supplies and equipment to the nursing units and clinics. Adds patient specific and re-stock medications to the Omnicell machines located in patient care areas, except the sterile corridor of surgery. Returns discontinued and outdated medications from the Omnicells to the Pharmacy.
- Replaces CPR cart medications following Dr. Cart events. Transfers patient specific medications from the Omnicell on the discharged unit to the Omnicell on the unit to which the patient has been transferred.
- Rotates through all work areas of the pharmacy department, works as a team player to achieve pharmaceutical care for the patient, fills, first doses, restocks and patient specific medications from the carousels, performs monthly nursing unit, clinic and pharmacy area inspections as directed, maintains work areas (IV Room, UD Area, Manufacturing area, store rooms, pharmacy satellites) by restocking and cleaning as needed, answers phone calls
- Triages phone communication appropriately and according to policy, collects quality assurance data and maintains workload records as required, performs other patient and/or drug related duties within the legal scope of their licensure as assigned by the pharmacist and/or supervisor.
- Prepares medications and supplies for dispensing under the supervision of a pharmacist including: prepackaging bulk medications byfilling unit dose-specific syringes and vials of medications for both adult and pediatric patients, compounded oral suspensions and Grade One mouthwash. Compounds IV admixtures, chemotherapy, desensitization medications, high-cost biologics and pediatric IV's and restocks CPR cart trays.
- Prepares inventories, orders drugs and supplies from pharmacy storeroom, receives drugs and stocks shelves in various pharmacy locations.
- In the absence of the pharmacist, facilitates the timely distribution of medications by prioritizing orders, seeking out the pharmacist for checking when necessary and working to prioritize STAT order handling.
- Completes and passes required annual technician competencies in a timely fashion. Complies with all departmental, hospital, and regulating agency policies or recommendations. Complies with all state and federal laws regulating their practice.
- Prepares outpatient prescriptions. Performs cashiering duties in the Outpatient Pharmacy as needed
- Assist in the training of new pharmacists and technician employees in their work areas.
- Performs other duties assigned
- Current Illinois Pharmacy Technician License.
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Minimum of one year pharmacy experience, or
- Completion of an ASHP approved pharmacy technician vocational course, or student enrolled in a college of pharmacy or at the University of Chicago. Graduates of foreign pharmacy programs are also eligible for consideration.
- Ability to work as a team player to accomplish optimal patient care by providing superior pharmaceutical services.
- Good communication skills to interact with patients and staff.
- Considerable knowledge of basic pharmacy practices and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of medications and medical supplies.
- Good knowledge of record keeping practices.
- Successful completion of core technician competencies and subsequent yearly competencies.
- Considerable skill in working with attention to detail.
- Considerable verbal communications skills.
- Familiar with computers and keyboard usage.
- Sensitivity to patient care issues as they pertain to the practice of pharmacy.
- Illinois Pharmacy Technician Certification is highly desirable.
- Job Type/FTE: Full-time (1.0)
- Shift: Rotating
- Unit/Department: Inpatient Pharmacy
- CBA Code: 743 Clerical
In this role, we anticipate that you will generally work approximately 40 hours per week. We anticipate that you will generally be scheduled to work the rotating shift, from approximately 6am-3pm or 2:30p-11p, and will not be scheduled for on-call shifts. We anticipate you will be scheduled to work 100% at the Hyde Park campus. The days of the week that you are scheduled will be Monday-Friday, but we anticipate that you will be scheduled to work every other weekend.
Must comply with UCMC's COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a condition of employment. If you have already received the vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are also required for all employees prior to hire.
Apply on company website