Join one of the nation's most comprehensive academic medical centers, UChicago Medicine, as a IT Senior Project Manager - Infrastructure for our Information Systems division. This is a remote, work from home opportunity with occasional travel to our campus. You may be based outside of the greater Chicagoland area.
The IT Senior Project Manager - Infrastructure manages all aspects of the Project Management Life Cycle (PMLC) for large, high risk, complex projects and small programs. Integrates full knowledge of the PMLC with insights and knowledge across the enterprise. Leads teams to find solutions to complex problems, and delivers pragmatic solutions aligned to customer needs. Thinks strategically using data to drive decisions and solutions. Is adept at large group and executive team facilitation and management. Helps to drive governance in the delivery of projects & mentors and trains colleagues on methodology during the onboarding process and throughout the project life cycle.
Essential Job Functions:
- Project Management & Execution:
- Integrates full to expert knowledge of PMLC with insights and knowledge across the enterprise.
- Manages all aspects of the Project Management Life Cycle (PMLC) for large, high risk, complex projects and small programs.
- Planning (Initiation and Definition) – creates and manages all components of the initiation phase; including but not limited to project kickoff, stakeholder identification and analysis, risk assessment, schedule creation, budget creation, and resource identification.
- Project Execution (Design, Build, Test/Train, Go Live) – manages all components and deliverables of project execution including but not limited to solution design, implementation, test planning and execution, training planning and execution, cutover and go-live.
- Project Closure – manages all components of project closure including production turnover, lessons learned, and overall close out.
- Monitoring and Control – Drives resolution of all project risks, action items, status reporting, scope and schedule, financial and budget establishment and reporting, meeting facilitation, vendor engagement, change management, and project resources. Helps to drive overall governance of projects and small programs.
- May direct the work of other project managers.
- Drives continuous improvement in the UCM PMLC and reporting process and its artifacts.
- Analytical Thinking & Problem Solving
- Thinks strategically using data to drive decisions and solutions.
- Demonstrates understanding of business operations for multiple departments or operational areas.
- Develops and manages project budgets and other financial aspects of the projects they are overseeing (e.g., forecasting, estimating).
- Drives the business case process and maintains a business case for the projects they are managing.
- Drives the vendor contracting processes and participates in the negotiation of contracts for goods and services.
- Gathers information and conduct analysis to gain a full understanding of issues and problems, including root cause identification.
- Mitigates functionality/system/application problems based on past experience.
- Identifies and escalates issues immediately and drives them to conclusion.
- Communication & Formal Status Reporting
- Is adept at large group and executive team facilitation and management.
- Manages challenging group dynamics adeptly to achieve positive business outcomes.
- Conveys difficult messages with empathy and concise rationale.
- Has high level of self-awareness as well as awareness of other's emotions.
- Identifies others' communication styles and tailors messages accordingly to achieve desired results consistently.
- Communicates to diverse audiences so that information is credible, digestible and easily understood.
- Maintains, improves, and uses the PMO and Portfolio management tools to track, manage, and report on projects.
- Relationship Building and Management:
- Leads teams to find solutions to complex problems, and delivers pragmatic solutions aligned to customer needs.
- Skilled at identifying stakeholders and building a complex stakeholder management plan.
- Provides definitive point of view and recommendations on project needs/risks.
- Works with teams and stakeholders to create new value for customers.
- Partners with stakeholders up to the Vice President level to support their decision-making processes; challenges thinking to ensure accountability and good stewardship.
- Leads events and forums within the PMO, UCMC, and externally in the project management and health care community.
- Proactively provides tactful, honest, balanced feedback to peers and customers.
- Mentors and trains colleagues on methodology during the onboarding process and throughout the project life cycle.
- Bachelor's degree in related technical area or equivalent technical training/experience
- 8 or more years project management experience - ideally in the space of IT.
- 5 or more years experience in leading IT Infrastructure projects in the areas of
- Hardware and software upgrades and installs
- Minimum 5 years experience as an infrastructure engineer
- Solid understanding of financial management and business case development.
- Experience with project and portfolio management tools, especially ServiceNow.
- Experienced in vendor contracting and management.
- MS Project, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
- MS/MBA preferred
- Project Management PMI certification.
- ITIL certification
- CPHIMS certification.
- In depth knowledge of integrated health care systems, technologies, and platforms.
- Job Type / FTE: Full Time (1.0 FTE)
- Shift: Days
- Unit/Department: Information Systems
- CBA Code: Non-Union
Must comply with UCMC's COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a condition of employment. If you have already received the vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are also required for all employees prior to hire.
Apply on company website