Bring Your Passion to the Forefront:
Full-Time - Nights
Senior Medical Technologist for the Blood Bank in Chicago, IL
The Senior Medical Technologist performs routine and special blood bank tests and operates a state-of-the-art integrated instrument system. Responsible for quality control, instrument maintenance, and method development to support a broad menu of routine and complex blood bank tests. Works collaboratively with colleagues, participates in process improvement projects, and trains MT students.
Senior Medical Technologist Qualifications
- Must satisfy CLIA 88 qualification requirements for general supervisor who oversees testing personnel performing high complexity testing.
- Bachelor's in an advanced clinical laboratory science or related field, from an accredited college or university. Master's degree preferred
- Certification or eligibility to certify as Medical Technologist (MT) through the American Society of Clinical Pathologists or equivalent.
- At least three years prior work experience required for certified individuals with practical clinical laboratory experience or a minimum of four years of pertinent clinical laboratory work experience for non-certified individuals with a bachelor's or advanced degree.
- Knowledge and proficiency in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, and graphical computer programs, automated blood bank systems and conventional laboratory equipment.
- Knowledge and ability to use laboratory hospitals information systems.
- Ability to use and understand basic statistical concepts and methods that are commonly utilized in clinical laboratory science.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with individuals at all levels.
- Ability to stand, stretch, and bend for majority of time worked; ability to lift up to 30 pounds; exceptional organizational ability; ability to work in stress situations; attention to detail mandatory.
Located in historic Hyde Park, UChicago Medicine is an anchor institution in the Southside of Chicago and has been at the forefront of medical care since 1927, when it first opened to patients. Since then, our growing footprint has allowed us to expand exponentially, providing access to world-class, ground-breaking care to communities all over Illinois and northwest Indiana.
This past December, we opened our doors to the newest, most state-of-the-art adult emergency department in the state of Illinois, followed by the launch of a Level 1 Adult Trauma Center in May. As of this spring, UChicago Medicine received Magnet designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Our team of nurses and interdisciplinary professionals are the best in class and provide the highest level of excellence in patient care. In addition, this year we received our 13th consecutive “A” rating from the Leapfrog Group for hospital safety. We are proud to be recognized amongst an pool of elite hospitals in the nation that consistently receive top ratings by U.S. News & World Report, including three UChicago Medicine specialties -- cancer (#31), gastroenterology & GI surgery (#42) and gynecology (#46) . Twelve Nobel Prize winners in physiology or medicine have been affiliated with the University of Chicago Medicine.
Why Join Us?
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront, University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply on company website