Description Position at VON Canada (Nova Scotia)
Employment Status: Permanent, Part Time (0.5 FTE)
Program Name: Home Support
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 40
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings, Weekends
Union/Bargaining Unit: NSGEU
On Call: No
Area of Work: Truro, Colchester & East Hants County
Are you passionate about helping people remain healthy and at home for as long as possible? As part of the VON team, you can make a positive impact on the lives of people in your community.
As a Home Support Service Provider, you will work in the community to provide services including personal care, light housekeeping, meal preparation, and respite to clients in their own homes.
- Continuing Care Assistant Certification (CCA), Home Support Worker (HSW), Personal Support Worker (PSW), Home Health Provider (HHP) or Home Health Aid (HHA) certification from NS
- PSW, HSW, etc. certification from another province, other relevant certification (IE residential support worker, paramedic) or relevant experience, who are enrolled in or are eligible to complete the Nova Scotia CCA Recognizing Prior Learning (PLAR) Program
- Nurses; retired, non-active licence, who are in good standing with their college or Internationally educated nurses (PLAR may be required
- Students in a nursing or CCA program will also be considered
- Valid driver's license and reliable vehicle are required
- Current CPR/First Aid required
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check and a Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check is required upon the start of your employment
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Not certified, but interested in starting a career as a CCA? There are some funding options available to you.
- The Government of NS has announced a Bursary Program for CCA students enrolled in CCA programs through the Nova Scotia Community College (NSCC) or private career colleges. The deadline for bursary applications for private career colleges is December 31, 2020.
- For CCA courses starting in January at NSCC Kentville and NSCC Truro, the deadline is January 29, 2021. Please contact the colleges directly for more information
- The Department of Health and Wellness is providing funding to new registrations for the Recognized Prior Learning (RPL) Program for participants accepted into the program between March 1, 2020, and March 1, 2021. For more information please reach out to Cailleagh Sharple via: http://www.novascotiacca.ca/Generic.aspx?PAGE=CCA+Program+Administration&portalName=ha
- Futureworx and Peopleworx – Most CCA programs are currently being offered tuition-free to qualified applicants
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its' discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.
Apply on company website