Description Position at VON Canada (Ontario)
Employment Status: Casual
Program Name: Home at Last
Work Schedule: Days, Weekends
On Call: No
Location(s): Woodstock, Ingersoll
The Home at Last (HAL) Attendant supports clients in the Home at Last Program through the hospital discharge process and assists clients with settling back in at home following discharge. The HAL Attendant will collaborate with members of the health care team in meeting the needs of individuals to attain an optimal level of independence and well-being.
- Meets clients at Hospital to support through discharge process and escort them home.
- Observes and evaluates the individual's/family's home, personal situation and client/family care
- Contributes to the development (with the help of the Program Coordinator) of the personal support care plan.
- Performs personal support tasks reflecting the needs of the individual/family, assists with errands as required.
- Communicates verbally with appropriate members of the health team regarding the management of the client's/family's homemaking, physical, and emotional needs.
- Performs light homemaking for clients in their home and assists with personal care (if required).
- Prepares meals, and completion of environmental risk assessments.
- Promotes the goals and values of VON and their role as an integrated community care provider
- Promotes a safe and healthy workplace ensuring workplace conduct and activities are in accordance with the provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations.
- Abides by all VON policies and work practices including all confidentiality and protection of personal information policies, regulations and practices and ensures appropriate safeguards are in place within their role.
- Works in collaboration with other staff in a team approach to service delivery
External and Internal Relationships:
- Engages frequently with clients, client's family members and Program Coordinators on any needed changes to client plans and other relevant information.
- Engages with discharge planners in hospital and community and other health care providers, as required
Education, Designations and Experience:
- Secondary school education preferred
- Experience working with people from different social and economic environments preferred
- Current CPR and First Aid certification will be requested
- Personal Support Worker or Health Care Aide certification an asset
- Household management experience
- Experience working with elderly or ill individuals
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Good assessment skills.
- Awareness of community resources.
- Ability to take direction, as well as to work both independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Must have access to a personal vehicle to attend client and hospital visits and possess both a current driver's license and proof of vehicle insurance
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required upon the start of your employment
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
Apply on company website