Description Position at VON Canada Requisition Details:
Employment Status: Regular, Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Program Name: Practice, Quality, and Risk
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 75
Work Schedule: Days
The Practice Education Development Consultant is responsible for the development and provision of clinical and professional education for regulated and unregulated staff utilizing evidence-based practice and adult education principles. Working closely with the Practice, Quality, and Risk team the Practice Education Development Consultant assist to support the provision of safe, effective client and family-centered care.Key Responsibilities:
- Lead the design and implementation of a national orientation program for students.
- Establish, maintain, and develop an effective relationship with post-secondary placement coordinators
- Oversee the new nursing graduate Transition to Practice Program (TPP).
- Lead initiatives that support quality student placement. This may include innovative pilot projects with postsecondary institutions, the creation of new standard operating procedures for existing placements, or collaboration with internal and external stakeholders for funding opportunities
- Review all student placement requests and clarify the clinical placement process.
- Coordinate and collaborate with sites to determine student placement capacity.
- Maintain a database of student placements for reporting and quality monitoring purposes.
- Liaise with school clinical placement officers and internally with site managers regarding incidents occurring during clinical placements, and consults with Risk Management when required.
- Implement a preceptor development, selection, and education process.
- Oversee the competency assessment of preceptors to ensure the clinical experience is of excellent quality to support student learning and outcomes, including surveys, focus groups, and interviews.
- Maintain the documents posted on the VON website and Intranet for the student experience that includes resources for preceptors, managers, and students.
- Maintain a preceptor database.
- Oversee the evaluation of all student placements, including pilot programs and other innovative strategies to recruit and retain students.
- Evaluate placement sites to determine the quality of the learning environment for students.
- Provide Managers and Director of Professional Practice with the annual evaluation results arising from the sites, the student and preceptor evaluations, and makes recommendations for change if necessary.
- Assess evaluation tools and revise student placement initiatives based upon student, new grad, preceptor, mentor and manager feedback.
- Collaborate with other members of the Practice Quality and Risk team to identify emerging educational needs in the organization for student placements.
- Lead or facilitate student-related quality improvement initiatives across service sites to support evidence-informed decision making and safe and effective care delivery.
- Collaborate with Human Resources to identify and recruit high performing students
- Assesses national practice education needs and develop plans to meet recognized needs.
- Works closely in collaboration with the Practice Consultant (and other members of the Practice Quality and Risk team) on identifying emerging practice learning/education needs in the organization and develops the plan to address.
- Plans and prepares curriculum goals, objectives, and content according to program objectives and accreditation standards.
- Develops practice education programs in collaboration with site/district practice education resources to ensure a standardized approach to practice education.
- Delivers practice education programs as required using multiple instructional delivery methods (ie: webinar, teleconference, face-to-face).
- Evaluates the effectiveness of practice education programs and makes recommendations for content revision.
- Coordinates practice education programs in consultation with Quality & Risk staff and Operations.
- Leads the implementation of a national orientation for staff in a variety of roles including regulated and unregulated care providers and management.
- Evaluates clinical practices in relation to regulated and unregulated provider practice standards, relevant legislation, and professional practice regulations.
- Supports staff to maintain continuing professional competence.
- Identifies strategies for improving professional development activities, care and service activities, and client outcomes.
- Consults with external and internal resources to ensure currency and relevancy of practice education material.
External and Internal Relationships
- Liaises with the Learning Management and Organizational Development teams -Human Resources to support orientation and ongoing education programs.
- Participates in task groups/working groups related to regulated/unregulated practice and community health nursing interest groups.
- Minimum 3 years experience working with students in a post-secondary environment preferred.
- Post-secondary degree in Nursing is required. Master's degree preferred.
- Current registration with provincial nursing regulatory body is required.
- Adult education certificate/diploma or additional education in adult education is required.
- Minimum 3 years of recent, relevant clinical nursing experience in-home care setting.
- CNA certification preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of recent experience in developing and providing educational programs and support material.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated presentation skills.
- Attention to detail and appreciation of deadlines.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Adaptable, self-motivated and team orientated.
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required.
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas.
- The use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be required
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
In accordance with the Employer's policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception).
To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.
Apply on company website