Description Position at Victorian Order of Nurses for Canada Ontario Branch
Employment Status: Casual
Program Name: Adult Day Program
Work Schedule: Days
On Call: No
In conjunction with the Program Manager, the Therapist will plan, implement, and evaluate recreational and social programs for the Adult Day Program. Care is provided within the framework of Quality Management.
This is a contract position for a maternity leave coverage.
- Ensures the quality of client care management is consistent with the mission and vision of VON Canada.
- Ensure the safety and security of participants and maintain a clean, tidy program environment
- Receive referrals in order to initiate Intake process
- Build trusting relationships with client and caregiver
- Develop and maintain individual client care plans
- Communicate with community partners as it pertains to client care
- Guide and direct front line staff in implementing the planned social and recreational activities as appropriate
- In collaboration with the Adult Day Program team, ensures expected outcomes of care are reflected in client care planning through interdisciplinary and client/family collaboration
- Acts as a role model for staff by training, orientating and mentoring along with supporting volunteers by demonstrating knowledge and expertise as well as ongoing evidence of professional development
- In collaboration with the Supervisor of Respite Services and CSS Care and Service Manager, ensures that VON standards for Adult Day Programs are met or exceeded
- Complete required documentation as per program policy set out by Supervisor of Respite Services/Care and Service manager
- Organize and direct staff to provide programs that meet the physical, social, emotional, spiritual and intellectual needs of the clients and their overall well being
- Utilize and organize program supplies and resources
- When required providing assistance with ADL activity including transfers and incontinence care
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor of Respite Services
- Recreational Therapist Diploma from an accredited community college or equivalent
- Certification in gerontology and dementia studies preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in gerontology
- Excellent ability to communicate understanding of the aging process
- Experience in working with seniors, adults with physical disabilities or developmental delays and persons with dementia
- Knowledge of community resources
- Excellent prioritizing and organizational skills
- GPA (Gentle Persuasive Approach) & P.I.E.C.E.S. an asset
- Valid Driver's license, reliable vehicle and proof of current car insurance is required
- Current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required upon the start of your employment
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further information and contact details.
Apply on company website