BAE Systems, Inc. has an incredible story to tell - from our mission to our technology to our people. The Media Relations Director is responsible for the planning and execution of external communications strategies, programs, and tactics that promote, protect, and enhance the reputation and capabilities of BAE Systems, Inc. as a leading global defense, aerospace, and security business. The person in this position helps lead our efforts to manage and respond to critical issues and proactively share BAE Systems, Inc.'s mission and our innovation story with business stakeholders, job seekers, and other key audiences through the media. This position reports directly to the Vice President for External Communications and routinely works across the enterprise, with the Plc, and in support of the company's top leadership. We are looking for the right teammate to join a Comms team that is passionate about our mission, collaborative and creative, and true believers in the power of engagement.
- This Media Director will act as a key spokesperson for the company with media at the local, regional, national, and international level. This includes drafting and deploying media statements and releases, as well as in-person engagements.
- She or he will establish and maintain relationships with defense, security, aerospace, trade, and tech media, and top-tier business and regional news media. We expect the Media Director to have a strong understanding of D.C.-based national and defense media and established media relationships when she or he walks through the door.
- The Director will coordinate across the company, and with colleagues at the Plc, to oversee the quality of external communications content and manage the public release approval process for news releases and other key collateral and content. She or he will ensure relevant information is distributed to key audiences through our newswire service, via baesystems.com, and social media.
- She or he will play a leading role in shaping and drafting the company's public responses to key policy, regulatory, and budget issues. The Media Director will be responsible for helping the company identify issues on the horizon and prepare for them. She or he will maintain current corporate-level talking points and messaging for use by Inc and others as appropriate.
- The Media Director plays a key role in preparing for and executing in a crisis scenario.
- The Media Director will work closely with the Vice President of Executive and Internal Communications to support engagement programs for the CEO and members of the Senior Leadership Team to help position them as thought leaders with the media and other key stakeholders.
- The Director will partner with and convene others across the enterprise to develop original storylines and media pitches that generate coverage to showcase BAE Systems' competitive discriminators, technology prowess, and expertise. She or he will need a particularly close relationship with the Digital Director to ensure that we are fully maximizing every piece of earned coverage.
- She or he will work in close coordination with the Marketing Director and Vice President of Marketing Communications and Brand around key trade shows, exhibitions, and international marketing campaigns.
- The Media Director will work closely with the Government Relations team, as well as communications and program teams across the enterprise, to support program-related campaigns.
- She or he will supervises the program (and vendors) responsible for monitoring the company, industry, and competitor online news coverage and develop a more effective analytical measurement program to gauge effectiveness of external communications activities.
- She or he will supervise one employee, who will serve to assist the Media Relations Director, as well as provide project support to other team members as needed.
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor's degree with 12 years of related experience or equivalent.
- Degree in Journalism, Communications, or Marketing
Preferred Skills and Education
- Master's Degree
About BAE Systems, Inc.
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. People are the greatest asset in any Company. BAE Systems is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Apply on company website