.JOB PURPOSE OR MISSION: Works under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse. Performs a variety of technical duties in the Operating Room to assist the surgical team. Prepares patient skin for surgery in accordance with standards. Maintains aseptic techniques; actively monitors situations which could lead to breaches in aseptic technique. Provides comfort and support for pre-operative patients by demonstrating sensitivity to patient's care and privacy. Transports patients to and from Operating Room suite. Positions patients according to type of surgery. Identifies and cares for biological specimens. Prepares the Operating Room by setting up tables, instruments and supplies according to type of case. Performs job for the age population served, as defined in the department's scope of service.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include, but are not limited to:
1. Prepares Operating Room with instruments and supplies needed for the appropriate type of surgery or diagnostic examination.
- Assembles appropriate supplies and equipment in a timely manner and according to physician need prior to procedures.
- Anticipates procedural steps and responds accordingly as observed by care team members.
- Maintains aseptic technique and actively monitors situations which could lead to breaches in aseptic technique.
- Scrubs in prescribed manner and wears sterile gown and gloves.
2. Assists physicians and nurses with various procedures.
- Organizes instruments/equipment in specific order and hands to surgeon in correct order and with correct technique.
- Assists in transferring patients to and from the operating table to stretcher
- Assists in skin preparation and draping of patients.
- Assists physician during surgical procedure.
- Follows departmental protocol for procedures.
- Demonstrates ability to assist with the circulator role.
- Demonstrates proficiency in preparing specimens for pathology.
- Demonstrates proficiency in performing aseptic skin preparation.
- Assists with postoperative dressings.
3. Assists in the provision of safe, positive surgical outcomes.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the performance of the sterile team member role.
- Responsible, with the circulator, for accurate surgical counts before and after surgery.
- Demonstrates accountability in maintaining the ethical and legal responsibilities of a surgical team member.
- Demonstrates the ability to remain calm under pressure and in emergent situations.
4. Maintains instruments and equipment in proper functioning order.
- Cleans and maintains department equipment as required by department standards.
- Assembles, uses and troubleshoots all job-related equipment according to manufacturer's recommendation and/or guidelines.
- Tracks equipment utilization in daily care delivery and ensures appropriate patient charge.
- Assembles instruments and cleans instruments and equipment following surgery.
5. Performs all other duties as assigned.
Licensed Practical Nurse, Nursing Student, Graduate of School of Nursing, Graduate of Surgical Technician School or equivalent experience preferred.
SPECIAL SKILL, LICENSE AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
Certification as a Surgical Technician preferred
Maintains knowledge of and adherence to all applicable HIPAA regulations appropriate to Job Position including but not limited to: Medical records without limitation both paper and electronic, patient demographics, lab and radiology results, films or cine, patient information related to surgery or appointment schedules, medical records related to quality data, patient related complaints, information related to patient location, patients' religious beliefs and/or research information.
Maintains knowledge of and adherence to all applicable safety practices appropriate to Job Position including but not limited to: Incident reporting, handling of wastes, sharps and linen, PPE, exposure control plans, hand washing, environment of care, patient identification, transporting patients, transporting medications and blood, monitoring clinical alarms, and positioning of patients.
Apply on company website