JOB PURPOSE OR MISSION: Responsible for the clerical and administrative activities in the Emergency Department, fulfilling or communicating customer requests, data entry and the facilitation of communication between patient care team members. Job is performed to meet the needs of the age population served as defined in the department's scope of service.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include, but are not limited to:
1. Greets and receives guests, ascertains their needs, and appropriately directs guests or callers.
• Courteously answers the telephone and identifies self.
• Assists guest or caller by answering questions or providing information, and determines when referral to other staff is appropriate.
• Takes accurate messages and repeats key information to ensure accuracy.
• Respects confidentiality of information at all times.
• Recognizes unusual situations or questions and refers to appropriate staff.
• Tactfully handles telephone calls in difficult situations.
2. Prepares, compiles and maintains unit records.
• Prepares forms and maintains files required for daily unit functioning.
• Demonstrates a working knowledge of documentation procedures, chart forms and medical/pharmaceutical terminology.
• Provides accurate change-of-shift report and clarifies ambiguous information.
• Prepares all medical records for admission, transfer or discharge.
• Maintains patient information.
• Retrieves patient information from various sources (including tube system, fax, etc.) and places in appropriate area.
3. Maintains unit supplies and equipment to ensure unit efficiency.
• Maintains a well equipped, organized nursing station.
• Stocks and maintains supplies in-patient care area.
• Retrieves medications from pharmacy and/or tube system; and either puts in designated place in medication room or hands to approved caregiver in accordance with BRGMC policy.
4. Participates in the admission and discharge processes.
• Communicates all pending admissions and room assignments to the charge nurse.
• Receives and assists patients and visitors to the unit in accordance with Everyday Excellence values.
• Ensures the appropriate department receives medical records in a timely manner and in accordance with policy.
5. Performs all other duties as assigned.
One-year experience in a healthcare setting preferred.
High school graduation preferred.
SPECIAL SKILL, LICENSE AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
Computer experience and clerical skills preferred.
Maintains knowledge of and adherence to all applicable HIPAA regulations appropriate to Job Position including but not limited to: Medical records without limitation both paper and electronic, patient demographics, lab and radiology results, patient information related to surgery or appointment schedules, medical records related to quality data, patient financial information, patient billing 3rd party, patient related complaints, information related to patient location, patients' religious beliefs, research information, and/or public health records.
Maintains knowledge of and adherence to all applicable safety practices appropriate to Job Position including but not limited to: Incident reporting, handling of wastes, sharps and linen, PPE, exposure control plans, hand washing, environment of care, patient identification, transporting patients, transporting medications and blood, and monitoring clinical alarms.
Apply on company website