PURPOSE OF THIS POSITION
The purpose of this position is to receive and relay telephone traffic in a timely and efficient manner, operate the public address system and activate alert systems in the event of emergencies.
Duty 1: Promptly responds, screens, directs traffic to appropriate area in a courteous and efficient manner. Uses multi-tasking skills to efficiently and effectively operate programs directly related to switchboard
Duty 2: Monitors all light and sound alarm signals. Responds in a timely, appropriate manner to activate signals. Dispatches appropriate repair or emergency response network.
Duty 3: Provides on call services as requested
Duty 4: Complies with visiting restrictions within patient information guidelines
Duty 5: Assists in promoting a safe environment consistent with standards at BVHS
Duty 6: Attends and participates where / when requested in educational activities, in services, performance/process improvement, accreditation processes, and customer service/satisfaction
Duty 7: Responsible to turn in departmental documentation within established time frames
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Accurate keyboard & records maintenance skills
- Multi-tasks & timely response abilities
- Minimum of two years' phone and office experience, preferably in a hospital or similar setting.
- Must be able to move about hospital and between workstations
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to input and retrieve information from computer.
- Must possess effective communication skills as they are the first point of contact for the caller.
- Must possess the ability to work in a high stress environment and exercise proper decision-making skills in pressure situations.
- Must work independent and possess critical thinking skills to effectively handle emergency calls – Suicidal, Code Blue, Disaster, Bomb Threats, etc.
- Requires 4-6 weeks of full time training on 1st, 2nd and 3rd shifts.
- Positive service-oriented interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Individual must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient served on his/her assigned unit/department. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient status. Must be able to interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to their age-specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in the area's policies and procedure.
- Previous switchboard operation experience preferred
- Registration experience helpful
Requires a full range of body motion including the individual being able to sit seven-nine hours a day and some walking and lifting. Individual associate must be able to lift 20 pounds. Associate must have good eye/hand coordination to operate the telephone and the switchboard. Individual must have excellent verbal skills. Associate must have corrected vision and hearing in the normal range.
Apply on company website