At Brown University, academic deans play a critical role, overseeing the College's advising programs and a range of curricular and co-curricular opportunities that enable all undergraduates to develop and thrive as they connect their learning experiences to living lives of meaning and purpose. In this context and in close partnership with the Standing Committee for the Academic Code, the Assistant/Associate Dean of the College for the Academic Code promotes academic honesty and upholds the integrity of a Brown undergraduate degree, while serving as an academic advisor and resource for undergraduate students at Brown.
Reporting to the Deputy Dean of the College for Academic Advising, the Assistant/Associate Dean oversees the ongoing development and implementation of Brown's Academic Code in conjunction with College advising deans, faculty, and staff who assist with the adjudication of student allegations of academic misconduct. In addition to providing academic advising and fulfilling decanal responsibilities, the Assistant/Associate Dean works collaboratively with other College and campus colleagues and student groups to identify ways to promote academic integrity with a particular lens on identifying and supporting student populations who may disproportionately appear before an academic code hearing panel for an alleged violation. The Assistant/Associate Dean creates systematic methods of communicating academic standards to students, staff, and faculty to increase awareness and understanding of the standards set forth in the academic code.
This is a dual graded position posting. The candidate's qualifications/experience will determine if the position is filled at a grade 11 or grade 12 level.
- Advanced degree required.
- Grade 12 Level: Minimum of five to seven years of higher education and/or relevant professional experience.
- Grade 11 Level: Minimum of three to five years of higher education and/or relevant professional experience.
- A strong record of creative problem solving, including strategic thinking and planning, required.
- Proven track record in furthering university diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives while supporting students from historically underrepresented and/or minoritized backgrounds (irrespective of citizenship status) is required.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with and mobilize others (staff, faculty, students) to achieve shared results.
- Exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills; must be an experienced, excellent writer and presenter.
- Understanding and knowledge of restorative justice and learning-centered academic code processes.
- Strong organizational, administrative, and time management skills required. Aptitude for utilizing technology and effectively managing budgets.
- Experience with Web and print communications and/or program planning or development required. Experience with social media is helpful.
- Excellent judgment and discretion in handling FERPA-protected and confidential materials.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including some evenings and weekends, as required.
- Supervisory experience preferred but not required.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Recruiting Start Date:2022-11-21-08:00
Job Posting Title:Assistant/Associate Dean of the College for the Academic Code
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Position Classification:Hybrid Eligible
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
In order to maintain 90% or greater universal vaccination rates on campus, all newly hired employees at Brown University must receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before they begin work, unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. All employees must also receive a COVID-19 booster within thirty (30) days of becoming eligible. For more information, please visit the Healthy Brown site.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person's race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, in the administration of its policies, programs, and activities.
Apply on company website