Reporting to the Senior Associate Dean for Study Abroad, the Study Abroad Advisor works to facilitate broad and inclusive student participation in education abroad within the context of Brown's Open Curriculum. The incumbent is part of a team of advisors and professional staff who advise and support undergraduates pursuing study abroad opportunities, ensuring that students are academically and practically prepared for and supported during their time abroad, and that their study abroad experiences are integrated into the remainder of their time at Brown.
As a member of the College's study abroad advising team, the Study Abroad Advisor works with undergraduate students at Brown to define and pursue their academic, personal, and professional goals through education abroad and intercultural learning. The Advisor collaborates with faculty and staff in assigned academic areas to ensure academic integration of study abroad coursework, including guidance around study abroad transfer credit. In addition, the Advisor provides individualized and broad support to undergraduate students and advises students around program and course options that align with their goals. Finally, the incumbent serves as an academic advisor to assigned groups of first-year and sophomore students as they navigate their first years at Brown.
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in higher education academic or study abroad advising.
- Previous study abroad or related overseas experience.
- Initiative and ability to work independently and as a member of a team, managing priorities in a deadline-driven environment.
- Proven track record in furthering institutional diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives while supporting students from historically underrepresented and/or minoritized backgrounds is required.
- Proven ability to successfully build relationships and collaborate across a complex institution, and to collaborate with and mobilize others (staff, faculty, and students) to achieve shared goals.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, discretion, and sound judgment.
- Successful experience in academic program administration, including planning and development, implementation, and assessment.
- Proficiency in a second language preferred.
Occasional evening and weekend work required for essential College and University events.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Recruiting Start Date:2023-02-02-08:00
Job Posting Title:Study Abroad Advisor
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Position Classification:Hybrid Eligible
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
In order to maintain 90% or greater universal vaccination rates on campus, all newly hired employees at Brown University must receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before they begin work, unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. All employees must also receive a COVID-19 booster within thirty (30) days of becoming eligible. For more information, please visit the Healthy Brown site.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person's race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.
Apply on company website