COUNSEL, CORPORATE GOVERNANCE
WHAT IS THE OPPORTUNITY?
Provides counsel and advice with respect to assigned specialized area(s) of the Bank. Expertise in assigned area of focus is essential as is the ability to work effectively with other colleagues to help analyze legal risks, resolve issues and implement overall business strategy. Also provides advice and counsel with respect to general banking matters and perform certain administrative/operational responsibilities.
Legal and Corporate Administration Group
The Counsel, Corporate Governance is responsible for corporate governance activities for City National Bank. This role interfaces closely with the General Counsel, members of the Board of Directors, and colleagues in Finance, Risk and Human Resources departments. The Counsel prepares for meetings of the Board of Directors and its committees. The role includes oversight over administration of the Bank's subsidiaries in collaboration with the Finance team, including legal oversight over intercompany contracts, administration of operating companies, and maintaining corporate books and records. The Counsel, Corporate Governance reports to the Deputy General Counsel.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Advising clients regarding corporate governance issues
- Provide guidance on regulatory aspects of executive compensation
- Support corporate administration of the company's global subsidiaries
- Provide corporate governance support to the Company's M&A activities
- Assure compliance with corporate governance requirements
- Provides counsel and assistance to management of the Bank and other colleagues with respect to legal matters which include research, preparing opinions, and drafting documents.
- Partners with business units and support groups (e.g., compliance, product, marketing, lending units, and risk management) to provide effective and efficient legal, transactional and regulatory guidance.
- Identifies regulatory and legal gaps within area of expertise and assists in addressing such gaps.
- Supports senior attorneys as needed.
- May supervise outside counsel on assigned legal matters.
- Responsible for certain administrative or operational functions within the Legal Division.
- Complies fully with all Bank policies and procedures, including the Colleague Code of Conduct, as well as all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Completes all required training.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
- JD (Juris Doctor)
- Minimum 5 years of experience supporting all aspects of corporate governance matters and providing related counsel and advice.
- Admitted to practice law in California or the ability to register as In-House Counsel in California.
Skills and Knowledge
- Be well versed in state and federal laws and regulations governing the assigned area(s) of responsibility, banking environment, and related industry practices.
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing, interpreting and communicating strategies and requirements, and the ability to translate complex legal requirements into written materials and oral presentations.
- Must have excellent problem solving abilities and effective verbal, written and executive communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent problem solving abilities and effective verbal, written and executive communication and presentation skills.
- Strong presentation and documentation skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently and meet deadlines.
- Flexibility and ability to work well with a team.
- Ability to work on cross-functional teams with emphasis in multiple coverage areas.
- Experience with managing confidential information and documents with discretion.
- Experience working in financial services industry preferred.
- Strong business sense and ability to exercise good business judgement is critical
- Basic understanding of banking/financial services operations and issues
- Ability to simplify, problem solve, multitask and work effectively against deadlines
- Strong legal research and analysis skills
- Detail oriented
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
INCLUSION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
City National Bank is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by law.
ABOUT CITY NATIONAL We start with a basic premise: Business is personal. Since day one we've always gone further than the competition to help our clients, colleagues and community flourish. City National Bank was founded in 1954 by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs and that legacy of integrity, community and unparalleled client relationships continues to drive phenomenal growth today. City National is a subsidiary of Royal Bank of Canada, one of North America's leading diversified financial services companies.
In order to be hired and work at City National Bank, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
#CA-LKEqual Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Apply on company website