SOFTWARE SENIOR ENGINEER
WHAT IS THE OPPORTUNITY?
The Senior Software Engineer plays a key role in City National Bank's Technology & Innovation division. As a Senior Software Engineer you will analyze, design, code, debug, test, document, implement and maintain business and client-facing applications using City National Bank's Secure Software Development Lifecycle. The Senior Software Engineer is an advanced senior professional with wide ranging experience who uses various concepts and in-depth evaluation to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways.The typical day includes collaborating with business system analysts, project managers, engineers (e.g., Software, UX, Full Stack, DevOps, Quality, Infrastructure, Cybersecurity), business teams, vendors and other stake holders to design, implement and support business and client-facing applications.This role will need to effectively communicate, collaborate, and influence engineering and business team members across many projects and departmental boundaries. The Senior Software Engineer designs, develops, updates/maintains solutions and provides technical guidance to other team members.At this level the main challenge is to identify causes and implement solutions to complex business problems in a multifunctional project, assessing and communicating issues of technology impact on the business.The colleague in this position would be comfortable with the following activities:Evaluates application software packages and makes recommendations to senior management.Lead & participates with other colleagues in code reviews, tests, and pilots.Collects & in-depth analyzes business requirements for large projects. Performs in-depth feasibility studies, translates complex requirements into an appropriate design.
Technology and Innovation Division
As a member of City National's Technology & Innovation group, you will drive, develop, and maintain solutions for clients and colleagues. This is an exciting time of technology advancement and innovation across the bank, particularly within our technology teams.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Will help lead in the design and development of business and client-facing applications, as a member of a team.
- Writing secure quality code with a drive for automated testing and validation based on the You Build You Own (YBYO) model.
- Perform complex engineering activities for performance tuning, monitoring, deployment and production support.
- Implement, maintain and update CI/CD pipelines in the cloud.
- Collaborate with business partners, architects and other groups to identify complex technical and functional needs of systems based on priority.
- Collaborate with multiple, enterprise-wide distributed performing teams to deliver new capabilities in business applications.
- Design and develop API's.
- Provide technical guidance to team members.
- Build APIs and UIs to help make use of large data sets, infrastructure and user experience.
- Own the City National Bank's Secure Software Development Life Cycle (SSDLC), from ideas to production.
- Provide software engineering skills within broad business area, usually as a senior member of a project team, in analyzing, designing, modifying, and developing business applications.
- Create and educate on programming specifications from which programs will be written, and designs, codes, tests, debugs, and documents programs.
- Create and review programming documentation and recommends changes in development, maintenance and application standards.
- Analyze and develop logical database designs, data models and relational data definitions across multiple computing environments (e.g., host based, distributed systems, client server, etc.).
- Comply with architectural standards and established methodologies and practices.
- Learn, follow and improve City National Bank's Secure Software Development Life Cycle (SSDLC).
- Create and maintain application system overviews and technical documentation.
- Complies fully with all Bank Operational and Credit policies and procedures as well as all regulatory requirements (e.g. Bank Secrecy Act, Know Your Client, Community Reinvestment Act, Fair Lending Practices, Code of Conduct, etc.).
- Completes all required training.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent
- Minimum 6 years of software development experience.
- Minimum 6 years experience using modern languages (C#, Java, Python).
- Minimum 6 years experience with databases and data modeling / design (SQL and NoSQL)
- Minimum 4 years coordinating team efforts in a project or operations environment.
Skills and Knowledge
- Understanding of proper coding techniques and testing requirements.
- Proficient in debugging techniques and technical problem analysis.
- Excellent verbal and written communications, interpersonal and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of project management technique is required.
- Experience with structured design, development, and implementation of new computing architectures.
- Full-stack development expertise in C#
- Cloud application development (Azure Preferred)
- DevOps / continuous integration technologies
- Monitoring Technologies
- Expertise with databases (SQL & NoSQL)
- Hands-on expertise in DevOps and CICD techniques and technologies
- The ability to self-learn and quickly understand new and changing technologies in a fast-moving cloud world, how and if these changes can be leveraged to improve the solution and the overall impact of these in the technical design and operational delivery
- Financial services (Banking) experience a plus
- Strong domain expertise in cloud application development (Azure Preferred)
- IaaS, PaaS, Serverless, API Management
- Container orchestration (e.g. Kubernetes, DockerEE)
- DevOps / continuous integration technologies (e.g. Bamboo, Jenkins, Azure for DevOps, Chef, Terraform)
- Web application server technologies
- Monitoring Technologies (native cloud monitoring and 3rd party monitoring tools such as Dynatrace, Moogsoft, Splunk, and others)
- Experience with Middleware, Web Servers, Proxies, Firewalls
- Extensive experience in creating engineering and architecture related documentation and other artifacts in support of large scale development efforts
- Cloud and distributed application design, software architecture and practices
- Hands-on expertise implementing and using DevOps and CICD techniques and technologies
- Experience using integrated development environments targeting Linux, Windows, public clouds required
- Breadth of technical experience, and technical aptitude to learn and adjust to new technologies and cloud trends required
- Familiarity with other SaaS Cloud solutions (e.g. Salesforce, Office 365)
- Security principles – encryption, authentication, authorization, integrity, auditing, pen testing etc. – and how these are applied in a cloud environment
*To be considered for this position you must meet at least these basic qualifications
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
INCLUSION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
City National Bank is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by law.
ABOUT CITY NATIONAL
We start with a basic premise: Business is personal. Since day one we've always gone further than the competition to help our clients, colleagues and community flourish. City National Bank was founded in 1954 by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs and that legacy of integrity, community and unparalleled client relationships continues to drive phenomenal growth today. City National is a subsidiary of Royal Bank of Canada, one of North America's leading diversified financial services companies.
Positions based in New York City: In order to work on-site at City National Bank in New York City, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, per city requirements. Shortly after your start date, you will be required to attest to your vaccination status and will be required to provide proof of vaccination.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Apply on company website