Manager of Commercial Underwriting
The Vice President, Manager of Commercial Underwriting (MCU) is responsible for ensuring thorough and complete analysis of lending opportunities as well as monitoring ongoing credit risk & health of the existing portfolio, while ensuring compliance with risk appetite, credit policy, credit terms and adherence to regulatory guidance.
Successful incumbents possess strong credit and line of business expertise, have excellent written and verbal communication skills, have strong management/coaching skills, are inspirational, have superior process management and operational effectiveness skills, have strong decision-making skills, are a team player and results oriented.
Reporting Information: The Manager of Commercial Underwriting reports to the Director of Commercial Underwriting. This position manages a team of 8 - 10 Underwriters and supports of one or more assigned Lines of Business (LOBs). Position Responsibilities: Quality Underwriting
- Ensure quality of underwriting including identification of strengths, weaknesses, and appropriate mitigation strategies for lending opportunities.
- Ensure appropriate application of credit policy in analysis and address escalations to Relationship Manager, Portfolio Manager and/or Credit Administration Officer (RM/PM/CAO).
- Review Underwriting and Credit analysis to ensure thorough and complete underwriting prior to submission to Relationship Manager, Portfolio Manager and/or Credit Administration Officer (RM/PM/CAO).
- Review simple underwriting tasks completed by Credit Specialists for completeness and underwriting quality.
- Identify and elevate underwriting credit concerns as soon as detected.
- Make recommendations on credit approval items to improve or enhance deal structure when appropriate.
- Participate as requested/needed in deal discussions prior to submission to Underwriting center.
- Assign and manage workload for Underwriting team in conjunction with Group Manager and Credit Administration Officer for prioritization.
- Ensure adherence to standardized credit processes and credit policy.
- Ensure team is meeting all established Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Continuous review of procedures, processes, and credit policy with a keen focus on process improvement and efficiency.
- Leverage workload management tools/reports for appropriate coaching to Underwriting and Commercial Banking Associate teams for production & quality metrics.
- Monitor and review credit underwriting to ensure product is "Right the First Time".
Recruit, manage, develop, train, and retain underwriting staff.
- Ensure development of underwriting staff and support of the Commercial Banking.
- Development Program in preparation of advancement to Relationship Manager and/or Portfolio Manager roles.
- Participate in recruiting activities to ensure quality candidate pools.
- Participate in virtual, on-campus and/or office interviews in support of the Commercial Banking Development Program.
- Ensure appropriate Talent Management activities and development plans are in place for staff.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory reporting requirements (CRA Sales size, HMDA).
- Achieve satisfactory or better ratings on compliance, AQR (administration) and internal audits.
- Understand and support data integrity of assigned LOBs to minimize issues.
Apply on company website