Summary: : The Driver Helper secures loads in between deliveries using load bars, straps and bulkheads, unload products onto docks and transport to customer storage using hand trucks or pallet jacks, and accompany Drivers onto customer sites to assist with deliveries, on-site set up and product display *.
The Driver Helper must be able to meet deadlines and adhere to delivery schedules and be customer service-oriented when interacting with customers, clients and consumers to effectively communicate and exchange information. The employee works in dry (or ambient), refrigerated or freezer areas of customer sites and must have a good knowledge of product temperature standards for proper and safe storage and transport of refrigerated and dry goods. Driver Helpers perform all of the functions of a Driver except the Department of Transportation (DOT) requirements associated with driving and pre- and post-trip inspections.
(*DL Divison only)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Deliver and receive products to and from customer sites in a safe and efficient manner, assisting the driver using dollies, handcarts and pallet jacks for product transport.
· Communicate with driver, supervisor and others work orders, loading of products, delivery schedules, load verification and other assignments. Check in with supervisor during travel stops.
· Interact and communicate with customers and vendors to verify delivery loads, place or position products, receive reloads or backhauls and complete transaction documentation.
· Unload products from trailer and deliver to customer storage facility using manual and powered pallet jacks.
· Read, interpret and follow work orders, safety instructions, regulations and manuals.
· Apply knowledge of product and temperature sensitive protocols (cold chain) when transporting, re-loading and securing product for transport.
· Assist with securing trailer during stops or delivery using chocks and blocks.
· Apply knowledge of product and storage shape and sizing for optimum stacking and storing of products and goods.
· Represent DPI in a professional and courteous manner during all aspects of job performance.
· Maintain regular and punctual attendance, wear appropriate work attire and use PPE.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
· May assist in minor repairs to truck or trailer.
· May use weather-specific tools such as snow shovels to clear pathways and door openings in certain regions during colder weather. May install tire chains as required for snow and ice conditions.
· May assist in preparation of paperwork and labels for product to be returned, assure product is in re-sellable condition, and may sort, stack and arrange product for return.
· May be called upon to assist with delivery of product to customer distribution sites and retail sites (“cross-dock”).
· May be called upon to return product to stock (RTS).
· Other duties may be assigned to fulfill DPI's objectives.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: The employee must be proficient in English and basic math skills. A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
Work Environment: The employee may be exposed to variable temperatures from the three different product climates (dry, cold, freezer). Must deal with local weather when delivering products. There is moderate noise level in warehouse environments with occasional to frequent honking of power jacks for safety. There is exposure to diesel, gas, and exhaust fumes.
Work Hours: The work schedule is 4 days a week(4 trips per week). Start time will be any time between 2:30 pm and 9:30 pm. However, start times may vary. Work hours and shifts are subject to change depending on operating business conditions and needs. The employee may be required to work overtime, holidays or weekends. Layovers may be required.
Physical and Mental Demands: Medium to heavy, exerting up to 20-50 pounds of force occasionally, and up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. The Driver Helper may exert pulling force of up to 75 pounds to deliver products, which may not occur on a daily basis.
Know and follow proper safety when transporting product. Know and apply temperature sensitive protocols (cold chain maintenance) when staging transporting goods; follow DPI grooming, hygiene and dress code, including appropriate personal protection equipment (PPE) for safety compliance; follow sequencing or order directions and apply knowledge of product and storage shape and size for product storage and loading; follow protocols for proper paperwork and documentation delivery.
The employee is required to be reliable, dependable and punctual with work schedules, shifts and hours in accordance with DPI policies and standards
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
We participate in E-Verify, a program run by the US government that confirms your work authorization, based on the information that you provide on your Form I-9. For more information, click the links below.
Right to Work
Apply on company website