At DreamWorks Animation Television, our Character Design Supervisors are responsible for maintaining the creative look of the character models, style and design of the 2D show in alignment with the vision of the Art Director and Executive Producers. Character Design Supervisors ensure that all deliverables align with the production's schedule, technical specifications, and creative vision of the series. The Character Design Supervisor will oversee a team of designers to ensure the consistency of the look of the show while meeting the needs of the production schedule.
DreamWorks Animation Television has an exciting new opportunity for a Character Design Supervisor to join its in-house team. This position is covered by the Animation Guild. We are seeking candidates who are familiar with the 2D animation pipeline and are experienced in the creation of character design production artwork for a broad, cartoony 2D comedy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with Executive Producers, Art Director, Line Producer and Production Staff to review all storyboards and animatics in detail and plan the visual elements required, while presenting solutions to maximize and work within our resources for asset production for each episode
- Participate in the talent acquisition process with the Art Director and Line Producer to review portfolios and tests, interview candidates, and provide detailed feedback
- Assists Art Director in casting work to the Design Team, pulling reference and research in preparation of Design Launch
- Is able to direct and give feedback to the Design Team, following the creative direction set forth by the Executive Producers and Art Director
- Support the Art Director in managing the design process including tracking the status of assignments and answering questions to ensure that all deadlines are met
- Provide status updates, troubleshoot, and review potential changes on a regular basis with Production Staff
- Responsible for reviewing and giving feedback on all designs, including orthographic turns, expression sheets, special poses, mouth charts, costumes and any other character-related art that the production may require
- The Character Design Supervisor will also be responsible for generating character assets themselves as required
- Working in tandem with Art Director, provide direction and input to Color Stylist for final color models ahead of shipping
- Has an understanding of the 2D animation production pipeline and can anticipate the 2D team's needs as well as confidently answer creative and technical questions once animation production has commenced
- Provide designs (launch materials, roughs, redlines, etc.) as needed to ensure that designs meet all quality and technical requirements as well as hit deadlines As needed, generate and/or provide retake materials, promotional materials, assets, for special projects, CP, etc. Mentor and support the Design Team to cultivate positive team morale
● Significant character design skills and understanding of anatomy and perspective
● Demonstrates proficiency and flexibility in style of show
● Substantial design, construction and mechanical skills
● Strong organization and time management skills
● Proven ability to meet deadlines and keep a team on schedule
● Experience working in a fast-paced environment
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Is a team player, who genuinely enjoys working with others
● 3+ years of experience as a Production Artist
● Prior experience working in television animation
● Extensive knowledge of the 2D animation process
● Ideal candidates will be able to provide applicable portfolio samples
● Prior experience leading and fostering a team
From the award-winning storytellers, artist and innovators at DreamWorks Animation and DreamWorks Animation Television come the beloved characters and stories that come alive on the big and small screens. From films like Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon and Trolls to original TV series including Trollhunters, Voltron and Home: Adventures with Tip & Oh, DreamWorks Animation continues to bring home the laughter, fun and courage to dream.
Visit www.dreamworksanimation.com to see our latest animated film and television productions.
DreamWorks is a division of NBCUniversal. At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It's our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU's vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It's what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
Apply on company website