DriveTime Needs an Accounting Director
Headquartered in Tempe, Arizona, DriveTime is the largest privately owned used car sales and finance company in the country. With more than 130 dealerships, 3 operations centers and 15 reconditioning centers across the nation, our 4,000+ employees are focused on getting the right customer in the right car, at the right terms. With over 25 years of industry experience, and our dedication to streamlining the purchase process, we're redefining what it means to buy and finance a used car.
As focused as we are on our customer, we take that same focus on finding the right talent for the right opportunities within our organization. All across the nation, from our Home Office and operations centers to our retail locations and reconditioning centers, we are looking for talented individuals like yourself to join our ever-growing team!
That's Nice, But What's the Job?
In short, as an Accounting Director, you will be responsible for understanding highly specialized accounting concepts required to maintain the general and supporting subsidiary ledgers, while ensuring compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Statutory Accounting Principles (SAP). Responsible for managing the accounting activities including review of complex issues, extensive statutory reporting requirements, and general accounting, tax, and internal controls. The Accounting Director serves with other business leaders to drive accuracy and cost ownership. They need to have excellent critical thinking and decision-making skills, as well as a solid understanding of best practices and future opportunities to build a best-in-class accounting team. The Accounting Director will need to have a solid understanding of the business model and a process-oriented mindset for establishing and creating relevant and applicable finance and accounting policies.
In long, our Accounting Director is responsible for:
- Overseeing and directing all accounting functions ensuring properly documentation and development of a system of internal controls that safeguards company assets and ensures that accurate accounting entries are recorded.
- Manage the timely preparation and review of the statutory quarterly and annual insurance filings as well as preparation of GAAP financial statements and supporting schedules, documentation, and reconciliations.
- Manage investment accounting and reporting through a third-party investment accounting software.
- Direct communication with and preparation of schedules and data for auditors and actuaries in conjunction with an annual audit and obtaining an actuarial opinion.
- Monitors and adjusts the workload and procedures used by team members to maximize efficiency, employ checks and balances, and take advantage of new technology.
- Prepare and/or review monthly tax provisions for the insurance entity on both a SAP and GAAP basis.
- Oversees the process for monitoring cash flow and performing cash management functions, including borrowing against lines of credit, investing liquid assets, and maintaining adequate compensating balances to facilitate the timely processing of claims and other accounts payable functions
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly and quarterly reports that provide management accurate information to support decision making.
- Identify areas of opportunity to increase efficiencies within current processes and assist in or initiate process improvements.
- Ensure review of the monthly close process including support for journal entries, proper general ledger account reconciliations, and analysis of results and unit profitability.
- Work with rating agencies and manage annual reviews and preparation of presentations and analysis.
- Research, analyze and document conclusions on complex and new accounting policies and multifaceted accounting issues both on a GAAP and SAP basis.
So What Kind of Folks Are We Looking for?
Knowledge of accounting and financial management principles at a level normally acquired through completion of a Bachelors or Masters degree in accounting. MBA and / or CPA credentials preferred.
- Seven or more years of progressively responsible work experience performing and managing finance and accounting functions. Prior insurance industry experience, particularly within in the automotive insurance sector preferred.
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as well as an understanding of Statutory Accounting Principles (SAP) is beneficial to the Director role.
- Proven history of developing strong working relationships with individuals at all levels in an organization.
- Ability to balance the daily demands of the position with longer-term objectives and ensure that both get adequate attention. Ability to marshal resources and orchestrate several activities at once.
- Impeccable integrity when it comes to confidential information and fiduciary matters generally.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively with a diverse group. Ability to manage staff, and facilitate productive individual and group meetings.
Anything Else? Absolutely.
DriveTime was awarded Top Companies to Work for in AZ by AZCentral.com for our great culture and one of the Best Places to Work in IT as awarded by PBJ. Essentially we offer a creative, transparent and fun environment since, well, we work here too. DriveTime was also voted the Fastest-Growing Private Companies by Inc 5000, and we aren't slowing down anytime soon!
So What About the Perks? Perks matter.
- Medical, Dental and Vision. DriveTime pays a nice chunk of your premiums to keep the cost as low as possible for our employees.
- 16 days of PTO and 6 paid Holidays. Because who doesn't love time off?
- Benefits like 401(k), company paid life insurance, short and long-term disability.
- Casual Dress. Come dressed in jeans (you'll fit right in with the rest of us).
- Game Room. Gimme a break – no, not a Kit Kat ad but we do have a ping-pong table, pool table and Virtual Reality if you ever need a break in your day.
- Wellness Program and In-House Gym. We want our employees to be the best versions of themselves. That's why we offer a Wellness Program that includes an in-house gym, B12 shots, teeth cleanings, biometric screenings and much more!
- Growth opportunities. DriveTime takes a lot of pride in promoting from within. We have spent the last 14 years growing our team members and taking them on the path to owning their careers!
Apply on company website