First Student, the largest provider of student transportation in North America, is now hiring a Fleet Maintenance Technician III (Advanced skill level)!
The Fleet Maintenance Technician III will perform routine and non-routine maintenance, diagnostic and repair work on vehicles (buses, vans etc.) under minimal supervision. This position handles more complex problems and can resolve independently. All work is performed with a commitment to safety. May mentor or provide informal guidance to Technician I and Technician II. Also, may act as a Shift Foreman and may receive a shift premium.
First Student (a division of FirstGroup America) is a leading provider of school transportation
services. We operate in 460 locations across the US and Canada, working with school districts to provide safe, reliable and cost-effective transportation for five million students per school day. We employ more than 48,000 people and operate and maintain over 43,000 buses.
First Student is proud to offer:
- Hourly wages based on experience and qualifications + ASE Certifications earn you bonus money!
- Monday-Friday full time shift schedule
- Consistent year-round work
- An excellent benefits package with paid holidays & vacation, medical, vision, and dental coverage, and 401(k) savings plan
- Ongoing training
- Opportunities for advancement nationwide
- A great work environment!
Fleet Maintenance Technician III Major Responsibilities:
- Ensure vehicles are maintained and safe for our customers by performing repairs with minimal supervision on both basic and complex maintenance such as replacement of light bulbs, fuses, lenses, wiper blades, belts, hoses, batteries, checking fluid levels, changing fluids and filters and lubricating components.
- Perform mechanical repairs under minimal supervision including the repair of brakes and brake inspections, engine tune-ups, suspensions, drive trains, transmission clutches and other repairs.
- Maintain records of all maintenance work completed on vehicles including parts and supplies used. Ensure that work orders are completed properly and accurately. Maintain parts usage records and order repair parts from designated suppliers.
- Diagnose and performs accurately all phases of vehicle and equipment repair under minimal supervision. May perform diagnostic tests utilizing a computer and manufacturer's software to determine mechanical defects.
- Lead preventative maintenance (PMs), safety maintenance inspections and annual maintenance inspections.
- Remove, overhaul and reinstall mechanical components with minimal supervision.
- Notify supervisor of potentially dangerous equipment and corrective action taken.
- Evaluate completed work prior to release and seek approval where required.
- Lead road calls and emergency services as necessary.
- Adhere to FirstGroup standards, policies and procedures.
- Moves vehicles safely between job and work area.
- Perform other responsibilities as requested or required.
Fleet Maintenance Technician III Qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent preferred; vocational or technical certification in vehicle repair preferred.
- Valid driver's license required; Must be able to obtain Class B CDL with passenger endorsement within 3 months of hire.
- State inspection license (may be required).
- ASE Certification required. Must participate in ASE testing program (expected to have 6 ASEs within 6 months of hire).
- Advanced mechanical aptitude and 5 years of automotive, CNG, or propane repair experience (preferred) or equivalent education and experience.
- Possess adequate mechanic tool inventory to complete all assigned duties.
- Adhere to standards set by state DOT for motor vehicle inspections and safety standards.
- Advanced problem-solving ability.
- Advanced computer skills.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain an organized shop and clean work environment.
- Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job.
- Making sure vehicles are maintained and safe for our customers is required.
- Be subject to a drug test.
Apply today to join our team!
FirstGroup is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. FirstGroup is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles, California, FirstGroup will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance.
Apply on company website