Lead Fleet Maintenance Technician / Shop Foreman
First Transit, a leader in fixed-route, paratransit, shuttle bus and fleet maintenance services, is now hiring a Shop Foreman / Technician In-Charge!
First Transit is proud to offer:
- $29-$32 per hour based on experience & qualifications (NOT flat rate)
- ASE certification bonus money & company-paid ASE testing and training materials
- Consistent full-time, year-round work
- An excellent benefits package including medical, vision, and dental coverage, and 401(k) savings plan
- Paid holidays, vacation, & sick time
- Annual allowances for boots and prescription safety glasses
- Ongoing company training on state-of-the-art online system
- Opportunities for career advancement nationwide
- A great work environment!
Lead Fleet Mechanic Major Responsibilities:
- Schedule and administer fleet maintenance, assisting in diagnosing and troubleshooting complex problems. Assign work to technicians and maintain records of use, mileage, maintenance, repairs and service.
- Maintain advanced knowledge of all vehicle components to effectively diagnose and perform maintenance and repairs.
- Road test vehicles to determine necessary repairs.
- Supervise technicians in shop. Make hiring and termination decisions in concert with location management and human resources. Conduct regular performance evaluations.
- Provide employee training and coaching.
- Conduct daily shop huddles and fleet walks.
- Ensure all repairs and maintenance are performed in a safe, efficient, and timely manner following company procedures and federal and state regulations.
- Oversee shop inventory to ensure necessary equipment and parts levels are maintained. Order parts and subcontract repair work as needed.
- Work closely with location management to provide status of maintenance and budget requirements.
- Communicate availability of vehicles for service with dispatch, maintenance manager and other operations employees.
- Monitor shop operational performance and efficiency and take action to improve as needed.
- Perform hands on work activities as required, including assisting technicians.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
Lead Fleet Mechanic Qualifications:
- Vocational or technical degree in vehicle maintenance is preferred.
- Valid driver's license required.
- 3+ years of automotive or diesel repair employment experience or combination of education & experience.
- At least 1 year of experience as lead technician, supervisor or other management role preferred.
- Solid aptitude in planning and scheduling maintenance repairs.
- Advanced diagnostics skills and mechanical knowledge are required.
- Must have appropriate mechanic's tool set.
- ASE certifications preferred. Must participate in company ASE certification program (company training, testing, and bonuses provided!).
- ASE Certification preferred. Must participate in ASE testing program (expected to have Master Ascent within 6 months of hire)
- Strong experience with computers, web-based applications, and computerized diagnostics
- Good team-building skills.
- Strong customer service and organizational skills.
- Ability to work assigned shift.
- Be subject to a drug test
Apply today to join our team!
First Transit (a division of FirstGroup America) is a leading provider of transportation services, moving more than 350 million passengers annually. First Transit employs more than 19,500 dedicated transit professionals at more than 300 locations in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico.
FirstGroup is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. FirstGroup is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles, California, FirstGroup will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance.
Apply on company website