Retro Studios Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms. Retro Studios is located in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin's sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.
Announced by Nintendo in January 2019, Retro Studios is currently in the midst of developing Metroid Prime 4 for the Nintendo Switch.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Work with the narrative team to quickly create dialog, cinematic scripts, and foundational story documents
- Help write in-game backstory, world building, general lore, and character breakdowns
- Help to maintain narrative foundations established by the narrative team
- Perform editing and tracking of in-game dialog, narrative bibles, and cinematics
- Work with the design team to craft memorable gameplay-centric story moments
- Work with various teams to ensure that the game narrative is implemented as intended
- Assist cinematic and design teams with identifying suitable moments for cutscenes
- Manage and track narrative documents
- Help to educate all teams on the game narrative and storytelling practices
*This job description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended to identify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the position may be required to perform other duties. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS
- Must have writing portfolio that shows an understanding of game-narrative development, cinematic screenplay writing, dialog writing, and world building
- Demonstrated ability to use independent judgment and creativity in developing story documents under the guidance of design and cinematic leadership
- Self-starter with proactive attitude to improve own qualifications
- Passion for sharing insights and ability to coach less experienced people
- Excellent communication, organizational, personal, and problem-solving skills
- Strong understanding of game narrative and design.
- Able to share clear understanding of character development.
- Able to problem solve issues that can occur during the various stages of story development
- Experience with already established IP is a plus
- Prior cinematics experience is a plus
- Proficient in Final Draft, Excel, and Word
- Undergraduate degree in art related subject; or completion of an intensive art training program; or equivalent independent study and experience.
** This is a CONTRACT position
Retro Studios is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a welcoming and inclusive environment in service to one another, our products, the diverse consumers we represent, and the communities we call home. We do all of this with kindness, empathy and respect for each other.
Apply on company website