Inspire health. Serve with compassion. Be the difference.
Job SummaryUnder the direction of the manager and the medical director, the staff sonographer qualified by professional credentialing, academic and clinical experience provides diagnostic patient care services using diagnostic medical sonography. Sonographer may be required to cover various shifts, weekends and holidays. All team members are expected to be knowledgeable and compliant with Prisma Health's values: Inspire health. Serve with compassion. Be the difference. . Accountabilities
* Identify patients by using two patient demographic identifiers. Review written orders for procedure to be performed.
Acquires requisition and checks for appropriate clinical information, date, and verifies correct account number.
Check for requisition procedural contraindications. Performs all Ultrasound procedures using independent judgment during the sonographic exam to accurately differentiate between normal and pathological findings. Analyses
sonograms, synthesizing sonographic information and medical history, and communicates findings to the appropriate physician. Imaging quality is acceptable by quality control standard to include all protocol requirements. 40%
* Keeping customer service goals in mind, explains procedure to patient and introduces self and identifies department.
Greets patients professionally. Guides patients to appropriate areas. Ensures patients are in correct area for their procedure. Informs patients and their family members of all delays (including estimated wait time).
Maintains patient and their families comfort as best as possible (warm blankets, extra pillows, etc.)
Arranges for interdepartmental transportation service, using correct area ID's. Transporting patients if necessary; especially patients to and from the radiology observation area. 5%
* Obtains appropriate supplies and prepares room for patient. Maintains a sanitary and organized environment. Stock work area with linens/supplies as needed, reporting voids. Dispose of used supplies, soiled linen, trash and bio-hazardous materials according to hospital policy. Maintain proper disinfectant of the endovaginal transducers complying with safety standards for cidex in the department.
Remaining knowledgeable about equipment that is required for each exam and must be proficient with all equipment in the department. Patient flow is controlled for most efficient use of equipment. 5%
* Complies with departmental downtime protocols. Maintain accurate records pertaining to exam performed on daily log. Charges procedure and supplies when exam is completed. Adds surgical charges when appropriate. Assists in
maintaining an empty list of outstanding charges, investigates and / or reports, and explains reason for charges listed as outstanding. Assists in completing debit / credit forms. Help troubleshoot improper charges and assist in
getting them added in a timely manner. Assist in getting ultrasound cases read when a dictation is not found. 5%
* Participates in daily flow of inpatients / outpatients going through the ultrasound department using patient board in work area. Resolves scheduling conflicts with other healthcare departments. Seeks to promote intra, inter, and
external communications. Maintains ethical standards of relationships and communications.
Assures the relieving shift has received hand off communication about the patients prior to staff leaving the work area. Communicates information and follows through on instructions received from the radiologist, radiology physician assistant and/or fellow sonographer(s). Delivers specimens to the lab as necessary in the proper location, checking specimens and labels are according to Prisma Health policy. Communicates knowledgeably with physician/healthcare worker regarding patient procedures.
Assesses communication ability of patient and take appropriate measures to ensure patient/family understanding of procedure to be performed. Arranges for translation skills utilization as appropriate. 10%
* Operates the PAC's system appropriately and verify studies before sending to archive. Checking at the end of the day for any unverified exams. Assures that all appropriate consents are signed (scanned into PACS for outpatient
procedures, placed in charts for inpatients).
Perform a "time out" for ultrasound guided procedures filling out form appropriately and scanned into PACS.
Print outpatient schedule for the next business day to work up outpatients
ahead of arrival (looking up histories and checking for duplicate MRN's). Checks schedule for added patients after re-opening for outpatients. Seeks dialog with central scheduling as necessary to insure understanding of listed patient procedures. Gathers appropriate information to schedule ultrasound guided interventional procedures as necessary, correlating with necessary personnel. 5%
* Mentor newly hired sonographers in departmental policies and procedures. Instruct students in methodology of department procedures and protocols. Participate in supervision of students/Prisma Health volunteers assigned to the sonography department. Evaluate/document student progress as per protocol of academic institution. Communicate with clinical instructors and/or department heads as necessary. 5%
* Recognize and respond appropriately to emergency situations. Monitoring conditions in the department that may hinder or compromise patient care. Notifies appropriate persons in regards to unsafe conditions (electrical, fire, chemical, equipment). Be alert to and aware of unauthorized persons in the ultrasound department. Such persons are to be challenged as to their identity and purpose for being in the department. This applies to all unknown persons irrespective of uniform dress or official Prisma Health identification badges. 5%
* Familiarizes self with, and compliantly incorporates, all HIPPA mandates of the Department of Radiology and of the Prisma Health. Follows PH Employee Handbook Guide in regards to e-mail, voice mail, and Internet communications. Checks Prisma Health e-mail regularly to facilitate communication.
Proficient in the use of telephone equipment with a professional manner and proper phone etiquette. Maintains pleasant, helpful attitude during all phone communications. Maintains, knows and understands computers, printers and fax machine. When needed maintains paper and cartridges and calls help desk. Faxes reports when requested. Reports equipment problems to appropriate personnel and, when applicable, records confirmation numbers in appropriate logbook. Keeps passwords current. 5%
* CAREER LADDER ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
1) Must complete all Level I clinical competencies.
2) Must be ARDMS 15%Supervisory/Management Responsibilities This is a non-management job that will report to a supervisor, manager, director or executive. Minimum Education
Associate's Degree - Completion of accredited radiology program or Sonography programMinimum Experience
No previous experienceRequired Certifications/Registrations/Licenses ARDMS - ULTRASOUND SONOGRAPHER - RDMS In lieu of the Above Minimum Requirements
Obtaining RDMS Credential in lieu of completing an accredited radiology program is acceptableOther Required Experience
ARRT in Radiology - Preferred
PACS experience - Preferred
1 year of sonography clinical experience
Work ShiftDay (United States of America)
Location1301 Taylor St Baptist
Facility3378 OBGYN 1301 Taylor 6J
Department33781000 OBGYN 1301 Taylor 6J-Practice Operations
Share your talent with us! Our vision is simple: to transform healthcare for the benefits of the communities we serve. The transformation of healthcare requires talented individuals in every role here at Prisma Health.
Apply on company website