Experience professional empowerment. With over 1,200 stores throughout the U.S., designs to expand internationally, and a thriving E-Commerce platform, Ulta Beauty provides its merchandise associates the bandwidth needed to set new trends, identify potential, and take calculated risks. For professionals with an adventurous spirit who thrive in a collaborative context, who are energized by ambiguity and problem-solving, who want to experience the results of their efforts, and who are inspired by the recognition of superior performance—we encourage you to make all of it your own. Discover the possibilities of Ulta Beauty. And experience greater heights of professional success & personal satisfaction.
THE IMPACT YOU CAN HAVE:
This critical role will lead a team focused on supporting our Merchandising systems and business intelligence. They will support our Merchandising and Merch Planning & Inventory partners by operationalizing critical processes through industry-leading systems and analytics. The Director, Merchandise Operations Systems & BI will lead managers as well as individual contributors. This role is responsible for functional expertise and thought leadership in support of the development and execution of the systems strategy and vision in support of Merchandising, Planning, and Inventory Management at Ulta Beauty. Scope will also include managing day to day operations of the department, leading and/or overseeing multiple or large cross-functional projects, developing ROIs/business cases, establishing and adhering to budgets, and driving accountability for systems adoption and stability. In addition, they will lead a Business Intelligence team that is charged to translate business intelligence to influence business decisions. They will ensure that our systems and business intelligence business needs are determine so they can leverage our systems and BIU to deliver best-in-class solutions. This role is critical to ensuring the right systems are in place to optimize our assortments and inventory levels in conjunction with our planning/forecasting efforts. Develop a data-centric approach that increases trust and confidence throughout the enterprise regarding the effectiveness of our systems. In addition to Merchandising and MP&I, this position will work with other critical functions at Ulta Beauty including Supply Chain, HR, Finance/Accounting, and Ops. The individual will also work closely with IT as critical partner.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Functional Expertise & Thought Leadership: Merchandising, Planning, & Inventory Systems
- Enterprise subject matter expert on how we are leveraging systems to optimize our assortments and how we are driving overall inventory health/managing our inventory levels to drive sales while minimizing risk and reducing lost sales
- Strategic partner and thought leader to Merchandise Planning & Inventory and Merchandising functions regarding core Merchandising, Planning, & Inventory systems
- Identify and provide recommendations for system enhancements and solutions that drive stability that align with critical business needs and the company's strategic roadmap
- Partner with IT to ensure the core Merch/MP&I systems and supporting infrastructure are working as expected and meeting the businesses expectations
People Management, Coaching & Development
- Accountable for the direct management/leadership of the Merchandise Operations Systems and BI teams including interviewing, performance reviews, workload prioritization, role definition, etc.
- Manage ongoing development of team through setting clear goals/expectations, providing regular and effective coaching, and communicating open/honest feedback
Leading Enterprise Initiatives/Project Management
- Direct tactical and strategic initiatives/projects including the development of comprehensive project plans, definition and tracking/reporting of success criteria, managing budgets and changes in project scope, identifying potential issues, and developing contingency plans
- Build ROIs/business cases to understand and communicate benefits of various projects/initiatives
- Lead organization through systems implementations, enhancements, upgrades, and critical stabilization efforts by managing system administration, and the development/adherence to best practices and adoption/change management
- Proactively plan and regularly communicate updates to key stakeholders in partnership with business sponsors and project teams
- Oversee the coordination and facilitation of UAT (testing) and training with user community
Driving Systems Stability and Adoption
- Provide and continuously develop governance to ensure ongoing systems and process adoption
- Ongoing measurement of systems stability, data accuracy, and processes that drive efficiencies for the organization and the partners we support
Enable Business Intelligence
- Engage with leadership and business groups to understand the needs and recommend business intelligence solutions.
- Responsible for overseeing teams partnership with business to determine information needs and identify system requirements to ensure the use of business intelligence applications enhance business decision making.
- Manage multiple BI initiatives by gathering, analyzing, and synthesizing data to enhance business performance.
- Promote self-service data and analytic solutions that empower the business to explore and manage data insights.
- Provide business teams ad-hoc access to large datasets (eg data visualization tools for non-tech business users)
- Own the development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, etc. to drive key business decisions.
- Standardize data and report consumption across all customer groups.
- Oversee the creation of reports and dashboards to measure and inform business partners on KPI's and metrics
- Must have strong communication skills with the ability to discuss and present information and issues across a wide variety of individuals.
- Responsible for creating a continuous improvement process, investigating problems, generating recommendations, and implementing solutions based on the use of analytical tools
- Following-up with business clients to understand how analytics impacted overall business objectives and goals.
THE ESSENTIALS FOR SUCCESS:
- Minimum of 10 years direct work experience in leading the development and implementation of Merchandising/Merchandise Planning and Inventory systems, either on the IT or business side
- Proven experience in building merchandising technology roadmaps and translating business requirements into technical requirements
- Omni-Channel experience preferred
- Minimum of 5 years management/supervisory experience
- Extensive experience in multiple and/or large scale enterprise projects including systems implementations within the context of a retail environment or commensurate business experience
- Deep functional expertise in Merchandise Planning & Inventory best practices and proven success operationalizing core/foundational retail processes through systems and analytics
- Retail business background with strong process and systems acumen
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited academic institution
- Adaptable to shifting priorities, demands and timelines while using analytical, data-driven problem -solving capabilities
- Strong collaboration skills and ability to work effectively cross-functionally, including upper management, project team and other departments within the organization
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
At Ulta Beauty (NASDAQ: ULTA), the possibilities are beautiful. Ulta Beauty is the largest North American beauty retailer and the premier beauty destination for cosmetics, fragrance, skin care products, hair care products and salon services. We bring possibilities to life through the power of beauty each and every day in our stores and online with more than 25,000 products from approximately 500 well-established and emerging beauty brands across all categories and price points, including Ulta Beauty's own private label. Ulta Beauty also offers a full-service salon in every store featuring—hair, skin, brow, and make-up services.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with arrest records, conviction records, or other criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of any applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, and the New York City Fair Chance Act.
Apply on company website