Description Position at VON Canada (Ontario)
Employment Status: Permanent Part Time 0.6 FTE
Program Name: Home Help Program - Community Support Services
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 45
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings, Weekends
On Call: No
The Home Helper provides homemaking services to individuals and families in the home or at the time of discharge from hospital according to the framework of VON policies, procedures, standards and quality & risk management. The Home Helper collaborates with members of the health care team in meeting the needs of individuals to attain an optimal level of independence and well-being.
- Performs light housekeeping for clients in their home including (but not limited to) dusting, cleaning kitchen/bathroom, vacuuming, mopping floors, laundry, and errand service.
- Prepares meals and completes the environmental risk assessments.
- Provides companionship and conversation to the clients.
- Provides stabilization and assistance with walking.
- Provides medication reminders and appointment reminders.
- Observes and evaluates the individual's/family's home, personal situation and client/family care plan.
- Contributes to the development (with the help of the Coordinator) of the care plan.
- Communicates verbally with appropriate members of the health team regarding the management of the client's/family's homemaking, physical, and emotional needs.
- Adheres to the VON standards for conduct and behavior and upholds VON's Core Values
External and Internal Relationships:
- Engages frequently with the Clients, Client's family members and Home Support Coordinator on any needed changes to client plans and other relevant information.
Education, Designations and Experience:
- High school graduate.
- Post-Secondary school education preferred.
- Current CPR and First Aid certification is required.
- Personal Support Worker or Health Care Aide certification an asset.
- 2-3 years' experience working with children, seniors and person with disability.
- Household management or professional customer service experience preferred.
- Experience working for a professional cleaning services organization preferred.
- Experience working with people from different social and economic environments preferred.
- Must have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Good assessment skills.
- Awareness of community resources.
- Ability to take direction, as well as to work both independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Must have personal vehicle and possess both a current driver's license and proof of vehicle insurance
- Willingness to travel regularly during the day as well as periodically overnight(s) to support sites and attend meetings
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
Apply on company website