Description Position at Victorian Order of Nurses for Canada Ontario Branch
Employment Status: CAS
Program Name: Assisted Living
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings
On Call: Yes
The Personal/Home Support Worker provides personal support and homemaking services to clients and families within the framework of VON policies, procedures, standards. The PSW/HSW collaborates with members of the health care team in meeting the needs of clients to attain an optimal level of independence and wellbeing.
Foreign Registered Nurses, who are waiting for CNO registration and PSW students, who are about to graduate are welcome to apply.
- Observes and evaluates the client's or family's home, personal situation and client and family care plan to determine if any need for change in the personal support care plan is required and whether the client's and family's needs have been met. Advises supervisor accordingly.
- Contributes to the development of the personal support care plan under the direction of the Personal Support Program Manager. The written Care Plan is completed with information collected from the funder, the Manager and the client or family.
- Implements changes to the care plan under the guidance of the Manager for safety, liability and financial reasons.
- Reports verbally to the immediate supervisor or Personal Support Program Manager any changes in the client's or family's personal support needs or home situation necessitating a change in the personal support care plan.
- Performs personal support tasks reflecting the needs of the client and family. Tasks may include light cleaning, preparation of nutritious meals, care of clothes, shopping for the client as required, and monitoring and maintaining household safety.
- Provides personal care as directed by the Personal Support Program Manager or immediate supervisor, including assisting the client in walking, climbing or descending stairs, getting into and out of bed, eating, dressing and other matters of personal hygiene.
- Provides simple bedside care, where required, under the direction of a nurse.
- Provides respite care to clients as required.
- Supports clients' families by providing child care as required to allow for family relief.
- Organizes each day's activities, setting priorities for personal support and other activities under the direction of the Personal Support Program Manager or an immediate supervisor.
- Completes daily call checks, and other forms as required, to maintain the effective and efficient operation of the personal and home support service.
- Assesses the client's pattern of communication and ability to relate.
- Communicates with appropriate members of the health team regarding the management of the client's or family's homemaking, physical, and emotional needs and informs an immediate supervisor or Manager of any changes or concerns.
- Functions and reports in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety legislation, regulations, and VON policies and procedures.
- Functions in accordance with VON's risk management policies, procedures, practices and guidelines designed to promote and protect client safety.
- Other duties as assigned.
External and Internal Relationships:
- Engages frequently with the immediate supervisor or the Personal Support Program Manager on any needed changes to client plans and other relevant information.
Education, Designations and Experience:
- Must have certificate in Personal Support Worker certification or Developmental Services Worker diploma or;
- Home Support Worker (Level II, III) or Health Care Aide
- Must have a current Standard First Aid Certificate or CPR level C Certificate, if applicable to the work being performed
- Some household management experience and experience working with elderly or ill individuals or children.
- Strong communication skills, both verbally and written
- Able to communicate effectively with clients and families in a clear and effective manner that demonstrates respect, empathy and understanding
- Good assessment skills
- Awareness of community resources
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team or independently as required
- Able to take direction well
- Ability to adjust to working in different social and economic environments
- Communicating in a clear and effective manner, demonstrating respect, empathy and understanding
- The capacity to adhere to strict confidentially
- Must have access to a personal vehicle for work and possess both a current driver's license and proof of vehicle insurance
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or a Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- Available to work flexible hours
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
Apply on company website