Great benefits. Competitive pay. We know these are some of the things people look for in a job.
But if you're the kind of person who also cares about making an impact and serving our nation's wounded warriors and their families, then you're exactly the kind of person we're looking for.
Change the life of someone who served their country, and join an organization that not only supports you, but empowers you to make that change a reality.
When you join the Wounded Warrior Project family, you're committing to making a difference. We make a commitment to you too – helping you to find that spark, ignite your passion to serve, and embark on a career with meaning and purpose.
A mission that matters is just the beginning, so if you're ready to get started, we're ready for you.The Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) Outreach Specialist connects, serves, and empowers WWP Alumni and Alumni family and family support members by assisting the WWP Alumni program and Alumni team with outreach to wounded service members and with planning and executing Alumni engagement events and activities in an assigned local or regional area.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Connect with wounded service members, their families, and family support members, who are in transition or have separated from military service. Establish rapport with them and communicate the benefits of WWP programs and services provided for wounded warriors.
- Recruit wounded warriors, family support members and other support members to participate in WWP events and activities.
- Plan local or regional events and activities for the benefit of Alumni and their families and encourage them to participate and connect with other Alumni.
- Develop and facilitate virtual programming content via Zoom, Facebook Live, and other technology-based platforms.
- Coordinate details for and execute these Alumni events and activities, providing networking, camaraderie-building, and family bonding opportunities.
- Assess the needs of Alumni and connect them with WWP programs and services that will assist with their long-term recovery and empowerment.
- Identify community events and activities in the local and regional area that will provide opportunities for warrior participation and connection.
- Regularly communicate and network with wounded warriors, serving as a resource and mentor.
- Establish effective working relationships and work collaboratively with WWP teammates.
- Utilize expense controls and seek cost-saving opportunities to help manage budget effectively.
- Support WWP by serving as local representative at events. Serve as point-of-contact for WWP Alumni and their family members and ref them to appropriate WWP programs, resources, or staff.
- Develop community support for WWP. Present WWP vision and values to the community, communicating the benefits of WWP programs and services, and inspire them to become involved with and support the WWP vision.
- Maintain current and accurate data in WWP intranet electronic tracking systems, e.g., SalesForce. Collect and report results and performance metrics for Alumni events and activities.
- Develop and build relationships with military-focused nonprofit organizations and community groups. Locate wounded warriors who have not had contact with WWP and introduce WWP's programs and services.
- Serve as local WWP representative when collocated near Medical Treatment Facilities or VA poly-trauma units and military facilities where wounded service members receive treatment. Meet warriors at bedside and work directly with them and their family members to assist their recovery and transition process.
- Other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- High energy level. Self-starter; willing to take initiative.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Good presentation skills. Good public speaking skills. Confident communicator with demonstrated ability to present information effectively to groups and individuals.
- Demonstrated understanding of relationship management and partnering. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain professional relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport with veterans and their families.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to interact effectively with diverse individuals and build effective working relationships. Demonstrated emotional intelligence. Ability to respond to sensitive matters with diplomacy and empathy.
- Demonstrated understanding of WWP programs and services offered to wounded warriors.
- Good organizational and time management skills. Effectively complete assignments and meet deadlines.
- Ability to travel in support of WWP programs and services.
- Unequivocal commitment to the highest standards of personal and business ethics and conduct.
- Mission-driven, guided by core values, and a pleasure to work with.
- Two years of experience developing and building relationships with veterans, or veteran's or military organizations, or members of the community.
- One year of experience with computer software, e.g., Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Three years of experience working with military or veteran populations.
- Two years of experience planning events or community activities.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Bachelor's degree.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSURE
- Valid state-issued driver's license.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- General office environment; temperature controlled
- Participation in outdoor activities and events under varying weather conditions.
- Standing for extended periods of time.
- Up to 50% travel
- May require lifting/carrying items up to 50 pounds
Wounded Warrior Project® is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, age, veteran or military status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Wounded Warrior Project is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms without a written search agreement in place. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Wounded Warrior Project via email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Wounded Warrior Project in any form without a valid written search agreement in place will be deemed the sole property of Wounded Warrior Project, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Wounded Warrior Project as a result of the referral or through other means."
Apply on company website