DriveTime Needs a Data Scientist
DriveTime is the nation's second largest used car retailer, focused on helping people find and finance used vehicles (trust us, it's more exciting than it sounds). We have single-handedly rebuilt, retooled, redreamed and reconfigured the way people think about driving cars, breaking apart from the industry's status quo. For more than 14 years, DriveTime has changed the auto world from the ground up while emphasizing values, morals and growth from the inside-out!
DriveTime's goal is to take every customer on the full path to ownership. All the way from purchasing vehicles, inspecting and selling; to financing, servicing and warranties – when it comes to owning a vehicle - we know what's up! As motivated as we are to take our customer on the path to ownership, we are just as focused on taking our employees on the path to owning their careers. Across the nation, from our home office and call centers to our 145 retail locations and 26 inspection centers, we are looking for talented individuals like yourself to join our ever-growing team!
That's Nice, But What's the Job?
In short, as a Data Scientist, you will utilize analytical, statistical and programming skills on large and complex datasets to drive business insights and decisions. This includes identifying, designing and building often complex solutions to interesting and unique problems. This role is designed to work across all areas of the business, collaborating with each business unit by providing predictive models to help optimize decision making across the organization. A Data Scientist at DriveTime must collaborate very closely with all other analytical teams, senior leaders of various departments, IT and the BI department.
In long, our Data Scientist are responsible for acting as an internal consultant, sometimes working with other teams to deliver immediate value or by periodically designing long term solutions to provide a fundamental change. A successful Data Scientist utilizes a tool set consisting of: logic, problem solving, mathematics, finance, statistics and programming. Projects may include, but are not limited to:
- Quantifying customer risk by building proprietary credit scoring models
- Assessing the impact of vehicle selection, financing options and underwriting on customer risk
- Forecasting profitability by building probabilistic cash flow models
- Optimizing loan servicing strategies by determining how and when to best contact customers for payments
- Valuing unseen vehicles for placing bids in online auctions or for accepting customer trade-ins
- Utilizing click stream data to build a website recommendation engine that calculates vehicle similarity
- Designing various A/B experiments, analyzing results and making long-term decisions that will improve the product and experience we offer to our customers
- Work within a dynamic, fast paced team to analyze all aspects of the business
- Identify areas of opportunity for leveraging quantitative analyses and mathematical frameworks
- Assess the efficacy of new data sources and data gathering processes
- Design, code and implement quantitative models using statistics and machine learning
- Build tools and reports that monitor model performance and accuracy
- Work closely with IT to test and deploy predictive models
- Work closely with business managers to build reports that support operational use of predictive models
What we want in our Data Scientist.
- Strong problem solving skills with an emphasis on financial data analysis
- Bachelor's degree in statistics, mathematics, econometrics, computer science, engineering, or a related quantitative field
- Experience querying databases and using statistical software (i.e. R, SQL)
- Knowledge of statistics and machine learning (i.e. regression, classification, sampling, decision trees)
- Experience creating data visualizations and communicating analytical results to general audiences
- Knowledge of advanced mathematics and statistics (i.e. calculus, probability, optimization)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for effective collaboration across the organization
- Curiosity and drive to master new technologies and tools
What we would like in our Data Scientist
- Masters of Science in statistics, mathematics, econometrics, computer science, engineering, or a related quantitative field
- 3+ years of experience in Financial Services, Banking, Consumer Risk Management in technical or analytical roles
- Proficiency in big data and distributed computing technologies (i.e. Hadoop, Spark)
- Proficiency in other programming and scripting languages (i.e. Python, SAS)
- Proficiency in version control software (i.e. Git, GitHub)
- Experience building end-to-end predictive modeling products
- Experience in lifetime P&L analysis of consumer credit
- Experience working with credit bureau data and other sources of information
Anything Else? Absolutely.
DriveTime was awarded Top Companies to Work for in AZ by AZCentral.com for our great culture and one of the Best Places to Work in IT as awarded by PBJ. Essentially we offer a creative, transparent and fun environment since, well, we work here too. DriveTime was also voted the Fastest-Growing Private Companies by Inc 5000, and we aren't slowing down anytime soon!
So What About the Perks? Perks matter.
- Medical, Dental and Vision. DriveTime pays a nice chunk of your premiums to keep the cost as low as possible for our employees.
- 16 days of PTO and 6 paid Holidays. Because who doesn't love time off?
- Benefits like 401(k), company paid life insurance, short and long-term disability.
- Casual Dress. Come dressed in jeans (you'll fit right in with the rest of us).
- Game Room. Gimme a break – no, not a Kit Kat ad but we do have a ping-pong table, pool table and Virtual Reality if you ever need a break in your day.
- Wellness Program and In-House Gym. We want our employees to be the best versions of themselves. That's why we offer a Wellness Program that includes an in-house gym, B12 shots, teeth cleanings, biometric screenings and much more!
- Growth opportunities. DriveTime takes a lot of pride in promoting from within. We have spent the last 14 years growing our team members and taking them on the path to owning their careers!
Apply on company website