Smiths Medical is currently hiring a Principal Mechanical Engineer in Minneapolis, MN.
The Principal Mechanical Engineer will performs high level engineering work requiring recognized expertise in this discipline of engineering. This role will plan and oversee work requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection and the substantial adaptation of standard engineering techniques, procedures and criteria. This role will also devise innovative approaches to complex problems as encountered. This position will lead major projects and provide guidance and direction to engineers and/or technicians for the duration of project, while also working with vendors and internal departments to provide technical direction, obtain necessary resources, resolve inter-departmental issues, and contribute toward project and organizational objectives.
Smiths Medical has a positive impact on someone's life around the world every minute of every day. In fact, over 240 people every minute benefit from a Smiths Medical product. Join us and grow your career while being a part of our continued success! We offer a fun, fast-paced, inspiring and collaborative work environment with opportunities to learn and contribute at all career levels. Innovation is part of who we are, with industry-leading products across a broad spectrum of medical device categories and a strong new product development pipeline.Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversees and participates in engineering projects and development activities of significant scope or degree of difficulty. Determines project parameters and assignments for project groups. Works with engineers in various departments to achieve results. Performs projects with only general supervision.
- Plans and schedules engineering effort for all assigned projects and monitors progress to schedule.
- Performs engineering activities and provides expertise as well as critical review for projects as assigned.
- Reviews and guides the resolution of technical issues as needed and ensures that technical work meets requirements and specifications.
- Creates or contributes to specifications and project plans.
- Assures engineering activities proceed per requirements of QSSOPs.
- Maintains frequent communications within and outside of department in support of engineering activities, such as project management meetings and material review, etc.
- Guides the decision-making process; frequently conducts the meeting or presentation and makes follow-up assignments to team members.
- Coordinates communications with vendors to provide technical information and expertise.
- Participates in and frequently conducts team meetings.
- Coordinates communications with vendors on technical issues.
- Generates or reviews purchase order requests for materials on assigned projects.
- Oversees preparation of documentation associated with engineering activities in compliance with company QSSOPs.
- Assures appropriate documentation for assigned projects.
- Reviews documents from other departments relating to assigned projects.
- Develops and conducts Smiths Medical facilitated training and development programs for internal departments or vendors designed to increase knowledge in issues related to functional area of expertise and/or medical device manufacturing and development including GMP, Quality Systems, and specific applications at Smiths Medical.
- Plans and assigns work / project tasks / responsibilities to personnel (typically technicians and engineers assigned to the specific project). Generally has no direct subordinates; but provides functional supervision and mentorship to project team members for the duration of project assignment and provides feedback to functional managers regarding performance of junior team members.
- This position is required to assure compliance of Company operations to all applicable laws, regulations and standards, good business practices and company documented procedures (including knowledge of all standards, government occupational health and environmental regulations and statutes related to the site).
- Engage others, promote, and participate in Environmental, Health, and Safety initiatives, focusing on continuous improvement.
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, economic status, disability, age, or any other legally protected characteristics. We are proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we celebrate, support, and embrace diversity.The Individual
- Scientific University Degree (BS degree) required.
- 4 year degree in Engineering or similar 9-13 years of experience or 5-9 years with an advanced degree.
- Medical devise experience preferred.
- Applies extensive technical expertise in the engineering field and has full knowledge of other related disciplines (GPM, GQR, Sales and Ops).
- Education requirements can be obtained through an educational institution or gained through equivalent work experience.
In addition to a competitive compensation package, Smiths Medical offers a comprehensive benefit package including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K and much more!About Smiths
At Smiths we apply leading-edge technology to design, manufacture and deliver market-leading innovative solutions that meet our customers' evolving needs, and touch the lives of millions of people every day. We are a FTSE100, global business of around 23,000 colleagues, based in 55 countries. Our solutions have a real impact on lives across the planet, enabling industry, improving healthcare, enhancing security, advancing connectivity and supporting new homes. Our products and services are often critical to our customers' operations, while our proprietary technology and high service levels help create competitive advantage. We welcome colleagues with a curious mind, who are happy with responsibility, enjoy a challenge and are attracted by the idea of working at a business with an almost 170 year history of innovation, and five global divisions, all experts in their field.About Smiths Medical
Smiths Medical is always looking for people with a passion to positively impact the health and wellbeing of people around the world. If you have a curious mind, relish a challenge and want to make a difference then bring your talents here and your opportunities are endless. We're proud that we've been helping propel the human world forwards during our 160-year history of innovation. By looking at things differently. By adapting and never standing still. And by always thinking big we have introduced some of the most trusted brand names in healthcare. Today we're an aligned global business 8,000 colleagues, that touches the lives of 7 people every second across the globe. So whether you're an experienced professional or just starting out on your career, our global scale and focus on growth means great career opportunities for the right colleagues. There's never been a better time to join Smiths. And help us create the future.
Apply on company website