HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, applicants should attach their resume and cover letter when applying for a job opening. For guidance related to the application process or if you are experiencing difficulties when applying, please review the Applicant Resources on our Talent Acquisition website.
- How to Apply
- Tips for Applicants
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. Materials submitted after the IRD will ONLY be forwarded at the request of the hiring unit. To ensure your application is routed for consideration, submit your materials before 11:59 p.m. on the IRD. Talent Acquisition cannot accept application materials outside of the jobs portal, and is unable to update submitted applications on an applicant's behalf, or forward communications to the hiring units. For more information about the IRD and the applicant review process, view this link.
The IRD for this job is: 01-08-2024
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Cal-Bridge is a state-funded initiative to increase the participation of underrepresented groups in STEM doctoral education and professional careers, particularly the professoriate. The Cal-Bridge network is a grass-roots collaboration of over 200 faculty from all nine general-purpose UC campuses, 22 CSU campuses, and numerous California Community Colleges. Cal-Bridge currently operates in three disciplinary areas: Physics & Astronomy, Computer Science, and Mathematics, and hopes to incorporate two more disciplines within the next few years. The Cal-Bridge program operates at a scale large enough to make an impact on the participation of these groups on a national scale. In all our activities, we are committed to fostering a welcoming and supportive climate for all members of our diverse community.
More information can be found at https://www.calbridge.org
Under the general supervision of the Cal-Bridge Assistant Director for Administration and Finance, the incumbent independently provides a broad range of support in the following primary functional areas:
Administrative and technical support in stipend and fellowship disbursements; travel and other reimbursements; procurement; web management; office management; conference and general administration coordination.
Outreach management in workshops; communication; marketing and recruitment. Coordinate travel throughout the higher education institutions across California.
Represents Cal-Bridge as appropriate, and attends and participates in various Cal-Bridge meetings and conferences as requested.
Budgeted Salary: $31.42 - $32.12/hour. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to post a reasonable estimate of the compensation for this role. The salary shown above is the budgeted amount the University reasonably expects to pay and the salary extended should not exceed this posted amount.
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri, with an occasional evening or weekend
- Shift Includes: Day, Evenings, Weekend
Employee Classification: Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus / Remote
Union Representation: CX Union
Job Code Classification: 004263 (ADMIN OFCR 2 CX)
Travel: Up to 25% of the time
45% - Financial and Purchasing Support
- Maintain knowledge of campus financial and procurement policies and practices, act as a resource and liaison for division/accounting on current accounting regulations and procedures (Procard, CTE card, CruzBuy, CruzFly ,Travel and Reimbursements etc.).
- Research and recommend vendors/prices/equipment; determine most competitive prices; identify substitutes for supplies and low value equipment.
- Create purchase requisitions for supplies and services as needed. Maintain and reconcile department purchasing Procards and CTE card.
- Initiate and complete all necessary accounting forms (i.e. stipends and fellowships, check requests, recharge forms, direct payments, hotel accommodations, entertainment and travel reimbursements) for Cal-Bridge personnel, conference speakers, scholars and visitors.
- Maintain an annual Financial calendar. Initiate and complete timely processing of funding transactions.
- Identify and track outside university Financial Contacts and ITF account strings.
- Provide training to new or re-train existing personnel on new processes and policies related to travel, reimbursement, and entertainment.
- Track actual and projected expenditures to ensure a balanced budget. Investigate payment problems and resolve discrepancies.
45% - Program Outreach
- Act as primary staff coordinator for all program outreach efforts in support of the Outreach and Recruitment committee.
- Work with committee to implement the outreach strategic plan developed by the committee, including composing program communication/marketing materials, plan for outreach activities, and generally create ways to raise awareness of the program on the 116 California community college campuses.
- Organize and attend Outreach and Recruitment Committee meetings.
- Coordinate travel and logistics to higher education institutions across California to recruit scholars and departments. Coordinate the organization of recruitment meetings, workshops, open houses. Create relationships with key constituents, gather and maintain contact information.
- Contribute to the program website as a marketing and program information tool.
10% - General Administrative Support
- Perform general administrative duties to include, but not limited to: word-processing, bookkeeping, copying, faxing, mailing (including mail merges) and google drive file management. Maintain Google email and Campus Groups distribution lists.
- Complete projects as assigned such as organizing electronic files/folders in Google Drive, changing Google drive ownership and moving DropBox files to Google Drive. Overseeing and compiling updates to Campus Groups information.
- Assist with coordination of space and facilities. Schedule room reservations and facilitate media needs for conference rooms.
- Assist with preparation of annual progress reports. Suggest editorial changes as appropriate.
- Provide direction to student workers.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent education and/or experience.
- Strong organizational and planning skills, including the ability to set priorities, maintain workflow, meet deadlines for simultaneous projects, and complete a high volume of work with attention to detail and accuracy with frequent interruptions.
- Demonstrated analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills, while exercising flexibility, initiative and discretion.
- Financial management and accounting skills. Familiarity with generally accepted accounting principles, funding accounting, internal control standards, and/or audit principles. Ability to learn federal and state funding policies and procedures.
- Ability to work with diverse groups to achieve results.
- Experience using computers with speed and accuracy for word processing, spreadsheets, database record entry, electronic mail and internet searches.
- Ability to learn and use new systems and software programs.
- Strong interpersonal and customer-service skills. Ability to work with and support Faculty, Staff, and scholars.
- Strong verbal communication skills to convey information clearly, concisely, and accurately.
- Strong written communication skills to convey information clearly, concisely, and accurately.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Academic background and experience in Physics & Astronomy and/or Computer Science and/or Mathematics.
- Knowledge of federal and state funding policies and procedures, with a thorough knowledge of and experience in contract and grant administration.
- Demonstrated ability to set and maintain a positive, collaborative, open, "can-do" environment.
- Familiarity with University personnel policies and procedures.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Must possess a valid license to drive in the state of California.
- Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
- Ability to safely perform the physical requirements necessary to move light to moderate objects up to 60 lbs., with or without accommodation.
- This is a fully remote position, and the selected candidate must be able to work successfully from a home/remote office and be able to fulfill the requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
- This position requires the ability to report to campus to work in-person as operationally required, with reasonable notice as determined by your manager; travel expenses not covered.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as directed.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete training within established time frames as directed including UC compliance training.
- Ability to travel to multiple work locations on and off campus.
- Ability to travel within a defined regional or service area.
- Ability to maintain appearance and conduct suitable for working in a professional setting.
- The University of California has implemented a Vaccination Policy covering all employees. Employees, including new hires, are required to comply with any applicable policies relating to the University of California vaccine program.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Apply on company website