Under supervision from the PI, the incumbent will assist in projects related to Neurodegeneration and Neuroprotection of mouse model of multiple sclerosis. Key duties will be: maintaining mouse colonies, genotyping, inducing experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in mice, giving animals therapeutic drugs (timed experiments), perfusing animals, embedding brain and spinal cord, performing immunohistochemical experiments, assisting in immunohistochemistry experiments, ordering lab supplies and general lab maintenance. Education Education Requirements Degree Requirement Two years of college level courses in the natural and physical sciences; or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position. Required Bachelor's degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Neuroscience or related science areas. Preferred
Experience Experience Requirement Prior related laboratory experience. Preferred Previous experience in mouse work. Preferred Research experience in mouse handling and genotyping. Preferred
Minimum Requirements Ability to work independently, skill in organization and attention to detail and strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Ability to make solutions, trouble shoot and think through laboratory techniques.
Ability to perform immunohistochemistry.
Working knowledge of principles of chemistry, biochemistry, biophysics and cell biology.
Demonstrated ability to learn new areas of scientific and technical knowledge by reading the scientific literature, instruction manuals, and textbooks, and by attending research and professional seminars.
Demonstrated knowledge of Windows and Macintosh computer platforms.
Demonstrated knowledge of laboratory techniques.
Ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken English.
Be able to repeat and demonstrate routine lab techniques to undergraduates.
Preferred Qualifications Working knowledge of principles of chemistry, biochemistry, molecular and cell biology.
Additional Information In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history, and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- UC Riverside is proud to be ranked No. 12 among all U.S. universities, according to Money Magazine's 2020 rankings, and among the top 1 percent of universities worldwide, according to the 2019-20 Center for World University rankings.
- UC Riverside is the top university in the United States for social mobility. - U.S. News 2020
- UCR is a member of the University Innovation Alliance, the leading national coalition of public research universities committed to improving student success for low-income, first-generation, and students of color.
- Among top-tier universities, UC Riverside ranks No. 2 in financial aid. - Business Insider 2019
- Ranked No. 2 in the world for research, UCR's Department of Entomology maintains one of the largest collections of insect specimens the nation. - Center for World University Rankings
- UCR's distinguished faculty boasts 2 Nobel Laureates, and 13 members of the National Academies of Science and Medicine.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview
Apply on company website