To provide students with appropriate learning activities and experiences in the assigned subject area to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth. Support, accommodate, develop and/or modify curricula and prepare lessons and other instructional materials to student ability levels. Work in self-contained, team, departmental or itinerant capacity as assigned. This position may be contingent upon funding in whole or in part through state or federal grants.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Develop and implement lesson plans that address grade level TEKS and/or prerequisite skills necessary for access to the curriculum and progress toward individual IEP goals and show written evidence of preparation.
- Participate in ARD Committee and staff meetings on a regular basis, having knowledge of students' disabilities, strengths, and areas of need.
- Develop and follow system for collecting data and progress monitoring and use results to plan instructional activities. .
- Present subject matter according to guidelines established by Texas Education Agency, board policies, and administrative regulations.
- Plan and use appropriate, and evidenced based instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles, interests and needs of students assigned.
- Work cooperatively with educational team, including general education, special education,and related service staff, to provide feedback and guidance on implementation of students' current IEP, including assistance with accommodating and/or modifying curriculum.
- Work with other members of staff to determine instructional goals, objectives, and methods according to LISD requirements.
- Have knowledge of each student on caseload and communicate students' disabilities, strengths, and areas of need with teachers and appropriate school staff working with students.
- Be familiar with TEKS, district curriculum documents, website and resources for grade levels to support students.
- Consult and collaborate with district personnel and appropriate outside resources regarding education, social, and personal needs of students.
- Conduct annual and ongoing assessment of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
- Assume responsibility for extracurricular activities as assigned. Sponsor outside activities approved by the campus principal.
- Be a positive role model for students, support mission of LISD.
- Create classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Use of technology to strengthen teaching/learning process.
- Manage student behavior in accordance with Student Code of Conduct, student handbook and/or individual Behavior Intervention Plans.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, principals, and teachers.
- Communicate student strengths and challenges to parents according to campus/district guidelines.
- Provide or supervise personal care and/or delegated health care services, as stated in the IEP.
- Maintain a professional relationship with colleagues, students, parents, and community members.
- Participate in staff development/professional learning activities to improve job-related skills.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required according to campus/district deadlines established.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
- Demonstrate regular and prompt attendance to ensure a consistent focus on student learning.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Supervise assigned teacher aide(s) and volunteer(s), student teacher(s), intern(s), beginning teacher(s) as needed.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION GUIDELINES
- Bachelor's degree in education or related field.
- Valid Texas teaching certificate appropriate to subject and grade level assigned.
- For teachers providing English Language Arts Reading instruction as the teacher of record, ESL certification is required.
- Experience in student teaching, internship, fieldwork, observation and all other placements required by universities or state approved programs for certification.
- Background working with individuals with low incidence disabilities and developmental delays.
- Knowledge of assigned subject area; curriculum and instruction strategies; relevant technology; and state, LISD, and school regulations and policies for classroom teachers.
- Skilled in communication, organization, problem-solving, critical thinking and flexibility.
- Ability to present information accurately and clearly; manage multiple priorities and projects; and instruct students and utilize behavior strategies.
The essential functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the characteristic duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities noted herein; however, this is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions found in this job description.
- May be exposed to outdoor weather conditions during portions of work day.
- May be required to pass a crisis prevention/intervention course and assist (verbally and/or physically) in crisis intervention.
- Needs to move about inside the classroom or campus to monitor students as necessary.
- Maintain emotional control under stress.
- Frequent standing, stooping, bending, pulling and pushing.
- Frequent moving of small stacks of textbooks, media equipment, desks, and other classroom equipment.
- Occasional requires lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Occasional prolonged and irregular hours.
- Ability to understand complex problems and to collaborate and explore alternative solutions.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work schedules of others on short-term basis.
- Ability to make decisions which have significant impact on the immediate work unit and monitor impact outside immediate work unit.
- Maintain composure and professionalism at all times.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply on company website