The Human Resource Business Partner will provide guidance and consultation in any, some or all of the following: recruitment, classification, compensation, collective bargaining, employee/labor relations, grievances, affirmative action, training and development, performance management, program and policy development, organizational analysis, interpretation and application of laws, rules, policies, or other functions relating to human resources management.
This position serves as a skilled, experienced, human resource consultant performing professional, human resource duties. Responsible for resolving complex or difficult human resource issues. Plans and carries out work independently and with minimum supervision, utilizing knowledge of laws, policies and regulations. Responsible for prioritizing and managing issues within designated area of responsibility. Maintain and ensure a confidential environment at all times.
COMPREHENSIVE WAGE AND BENEFIT PACKAGE
Salary range begins at $68,000. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
We offer comprehensive compensation package with salary and benefits as the main components. Generous benefits package is offered through Washington State plans that includes multiple medical, dental, life and disability coverage choices for employees and dependents; choices of retirement and deferred compensation plans; paid holidays, sick, and vacation plans; transit program, reduced tuition, employee discounts and memberships, etc.
For more details about Bellevue College's excellent employee benefits, please visit Benefits section, next to section.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE
Bellevue College is a diverse student-centered, comprehensive and innovative college, committed to teaching excellence that advances the life-long educational development of its students while strengthening the economic, social and cultural life of its diverse community. Bellevue College is located just 10 miles east of Seattle where we serve a student population of over 44% students of color and over 1,100 international students. The college promotes student success by providing high-quality, flexible, accessible educational programs and services; advancing pluralism, inclusion and global awareness; and acting as a catalyst and collaborator for a vibrant region.
We strive to create a vibrant and inclusive campus community that supports a diverse student body, faculty and staff. As an essential part of our mission and goals, diversity, equity and pluralism are promoted and fostered in all aspects of college life. By enriching student life through leadership opportunities, personal learning and cultural experiences, we are committed to building an inclusive and diverse campus community that fosters creativity, innovation and student success.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Office of Human Resources is a dynamic and dedicated office that integrates strategic human resources management, pay and position administration, and process improvement to build and support a fully engaged, diverse workforce environment to meet the goals and mission of Bellevue College. Our staff strives to make Bellevue College the Employer of Choice by creating and fostering an environment which allows the College to attract, hire, and retain the best people.
Audit new, vacant and occupied unclassified and classified positions. Conduct comprehensive investigations of position's responsibilities which may include interviewing incumbents, supervisors and employing officials, examining work site, work methods, etc. Interpret and allocate positions to appropriate classification system applying appropriate definitions and knowledge of Washington state and Bellevue College's classification/compensation system. Interpret rules, FLSA and other statutes that may impact the college. Explain audit results to employee, supervisor and employing official. Prepare notification to employee of audit finding. Provide training to managers and supervisors on classification/compensation system and processes. Assists departments in applicable collective bargaining agreements, laws, policies, and procedures.
Work with department managers and supervisors to develop effective recruitment strategies. Review job duties, qualifications and knowledge, skills, and abilities to create appropriate recruitment tools. Duties may include some or all of the following: identify and contact qualified candidates for specific job openings; review written job advertising in various media; review and screen applications and refer applicants to hiring department; conduct interviews; check references; and/or make offers to selected candidates. Monitor and ensure compliance with college, state and federal regulations in all recruitment functions. Utilize EEO/AA regulations in recruitment processes. Develop and maintain effective working relationships with managers and supervisors. Provide training to managers and supervisors on hiring processes, procedures and legal requirements. Answer inquiries from management, employees and applicants on recruitment processes and procedures. Assist in the collection, verification, analysis and reporting of human resource information.
In collaboration with VP-HR, provide information, interpretation, advice, training, and counsel to management and employees regarding workplace concerns and disagreements, performance management, workplace climate, techniques for motivating employees, supervising and working in a union environment, and compliance with state and federal laws and rules. Respond to questions and issues from employees and management regarding workplace concerns, appropriate corrective and disciplinary actions, reasonable accommodation, disability issues, and contract interpretation and implementation. Conduct investigations and interviews of alleged employee misconduct and prepare or assist supervisors prepare documentation for college response. Serve as facilitator/mediator when appropriate.
In collaboration with VP-HR, apply labor collective bargaining agreements and procedures for grievances, investigations, corrective and disciplinary actions, and other personnel actions. Provide information, interpretation, advice, training, and counsel to administrators, managers, supervisors, and staff regarding collective bargaining agreements; workplace concerns; performance management; supervision; and compliance. Develop and maintain effective working relationships with union representatives, employees, managers and supervisors.
Provide interpretation, information and advice regarding, college policies and procedures, collective bargaining agreements, Washington Administrative Code, Revised Code of Washington, ADA, FMLA, L&I return-to-work, other state-supported or collectively bargained leave plans, Title IX, Title VII, EEO, ADEA, FLSA, EPA, and other rules and regulations that may impact the college. Investigate, recommend and represent the college at appeals, grievances, and unemployment hearings. Work with appropriate counsel and AVP on legal issues.
Advise management regarding collective bargaining, contract interpretation and other rules and regulations. Investigate, recommend and represent the college at appeals, grievances, and unemployment hearings. Work with appropriate counsel on legal issues.
Complete special assignments and projects as required. Develop and provide formal training in areas of expertise. Maintain knowledge on current developments and practices in human resources. Provide backup to HR staff as needed. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resource Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, or closely related field. Any combination of relevant education and/or experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Three years of progressively responsible professional-level human resource experience.
POSITION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS:
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience interpreting and applying laws, rules, policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with large groups and individuals at all work levels.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of computers and software applications.
- Demonstrated success in fostering internal and external community relationships
- Demonstrated commitment to equity with the ability to advocate for it on campus and work as a team member on a campus committed to inclusion.
- Demonstrate ability to be a team member
- Flexibility of schedule and willingness to work select evenings and/or weekends.
- Experience in any of the following areas: recruitment, classification, compensation, corrective and disciplinary action, training and development, interpretation and application of laws, rules, polices; and procedures, appeals, grievances or unemployment hearings, performance management, program or policy development, performance reviews, career counseling, organizational analysis or development, employee recognition or other functions relating to human resource management.
- Interpreting or applying labor laws, collective bargaining agreements and contracts.
- Professional certification from a recognized human resource/personnel association.
- Human Resource experience in a higher education setting.
Applications received by 03/20/2020 will be given full consideration. Applications received after that date may be considered until the position is filled. This position is not eligible for relocation allowance.
Prior to start of employment, a background check will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment, but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
How to Apply:
Click on the word Apply at the top right corner of the job announcement.
Individuals interested in this position are encouraged to apply. Your application must include a complete online application and all of the required documents below to be considered complete. Any application that does not provide all requested information will be considered incomplete and will not be screened for the position.
- Complete an online application (note that stating "See Resume" on any section of the online Application will be deemed incomplete)
- Attach a Resume
- Attach a Diversity Statement that addresses the following: Please provide specific examples of how your educational and/or professional experiences, background or philosophy demonstrate your commitment to diversity and equity, and how these prepare you to contribute to Bellevue College (min 1 pg, max 2 pgs)
Apply on company website