At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: March 26, 2021
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking a Director, Performance Nutrition.
This position provides overarching and specific support of nutrition services to student-athletes. This may include assisting with nutritional counseling for performance or medical nutritional needs, or implementation of group education or meal planning. Will assist in the planning and implementation of sport-specific nutrition recommendations, educational presentations, cooking classes, and menus for at home and on the road fueling. Works with the director of performance nutrition to manage fueling operations, team nutritional needs, and social media outreach. Works as a part of an interdisciplinary team to manage high risk athletes and coordinate higher levels of care as needed.
- Implements initiatives for team nutritional meal planning and nutritional education programming. May assist senior staff, medical staff, and coaches with designing and implementing programs.
- Initiates and designs revisions to nutritional courses and educational program design and/or content.
- Position will oversee management of nutritionally high risk athletes. Will coordinate with appropriate physicians, mental health, and other members of ED management teams.
- Assists with the development and revision of standard operating procedures and guidelines.
- Position will assist with management of fueling stations, including inventory management, products reviews/decisions, purchasing recommendations, and program oversight.
- Appropriate education, training and certification in Nutrition, minimum of Bachelor's Degree and RD credential and/or equivalent years experience and/or training.
- Experience with sports nutrition in competitive athletic environment.
- Ability to meet the extensive time commitments required for a Division I program (after hours coverage, weekend travel for event coverage, etc.).
- Sensitivity to student-athlete issues.
- Proven ability to meet multiple demands in a high-volume, fast-paced clinical environment.
- Experience working with high risk clinical populations.
- Proven ability to work independently, prioritize and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills required for working with a diverse group of patients, clinical staff, managers and visitors.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion, handling sensitive matters involving patients.
- Computer literacy, including working knowledge of word processing programs.
- Ability to work with and in a diverse environment.
- Comfort working in a complex, dynamic, fast paced environment.
- Additional experience in sports nutrition and exercise physiology.
- Knowledge of clinical information/appointment systems.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time career position
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
Apply on company website